Chapter 29

"That's my mom," Tristan said again as my mother walked closer, hand on her neck

"Shut the fuck up." She said and I turned to her with wide eyes.

"Madre!" I said.
(Mother!)

"Is she...?" She winced.

"No, she's alive." He replied.

"Thank God that motherfucker didn't break her promise." She smiled.

"Woah Woah Woah. Hold on...how is this the same Adriana I saw?" I asked looking at the picture.

"You saw her?" My mother turned to me, shocked.

"Yeah. Two weeks ago." I was still trying to catch up.

"You're her son." She looked at him in a totally different way now. "Do you have siblings?" She continued.

"Yes. Dante and Morgan." He smiled at her.

"Morgan?" She threw her head back and laughed out loud.

How were they talking like my boyfriend's mom didn't just turn out to be my mom's long lost high school best friend?!

"But her hair-" I started.

"She dyed her hair, Eleonora!"
"She dyed her hair, Vera!"

They both shouted in unison. I blinked and muttered an okaaaay.

Ana. Adriana. It's really her, I thought. My mom always used to tell me about a girl who she'd met in high school. They both had the same nickname, so they both basically had the same name. And that was how their friendship started. Until she was transferred somewhere else and they lost contact ever since.

"Can you call her?" She said, breaking through my thoughts.

We were now sitting and standing in front of the laptop, staring at the call button of Skype. We were waiting for my mother to click on it. She was nervous. It was the first time I ever saw her this nervous. So, I squeezed her shoulder and gave her a reassuring smile when she looked up to me.

"Okay." She breathed and clicked on the button.

The room was dead silent-save for the rings, even my dad didn't make a snarky comment or tease my mom. There was the sound of the rings coming from the laptop only. She picked up on the fourth ring and the room itself seemed to suck a breath in.

Adriana appeared on the screen, sitting in her office. She was wearing what seemed like a black, long-sleeved button-up work dress. She looked through the screen at my mom and blinked before shaking her head as if to say no way.

"Evangeline." My mom raised her eyebrow and smiled at the screen. I furrowed my eyebrows at the name, but something was calculated at the back of my brain. If she replied with-