Chapter 40

E L E O N O R A

"I've just been busy with work, mamma." I speak while driving.

I lie to my mother yet again. The crack in my heart deepens every time I do that. Which is all the time.

"Eleonora," She sighs into the phone, "I'm worried about you. I never see you anymore. If...if you want to bring that man with you and come visit, you can. I promise I won't annoy him. I'll be on my best behavior, but just come."

Crack.

Crack.

Crack.

My heart shatters at how much of bad daughter I became. She actually said-

"I will soon. I miss you too. I love you. Bye, mamma." I park the car in front of Tristan's house and rest my head on the steering wheel. Just five minutes.

The tears effortlessly slip down my cheeks, landing on the fabric of my jeans.

I hate myself. I hate how damaged I am. Being close to them. Walking away. I always manage to hurt the people I love.

God, she said-

More tears. More cracks.

"Vera?"

I tense at Tristan's voice and quickly wipe my face while still hiding my face, his footsteps nearing.

Mask on.

"I'm here." I smile a small line and turn to him.

I didn't cry hard enough to have an aftermath on my face so he shouldn't see anything wrong there.

"Hey," He opens my car door and stand there, inspecting my face, "Were you crying?"

Okay, note to self: Shut off in front of this man.

How does he know everything? I manage to hide everything under the mask I put on. I always hide it.

"I'm okay." I start turning to get out.

"That's not what I asked," He blocks my way, his body so close to me I suddenly became warm with his body heat, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong." I say, glaring at him and shoving him back with a palm to his chest. Wrong move.

First, he didn't move an inch.

Second, his muscles became harder?

"Wait, you left Dani alone?" I look up to him, my hand back on my knee.

"She's with Engy." He says, still seeming focused on the reason of my distress.

"And who is that?" I cross my arms.

"Devon's mother." He says, his breath fanning my nose.

I very involuntarily roll my eyes, meeting his eyes immediately after to see if he saw it.

Smirk. Check.

He saw it.

"Well, then can you move the fuck away so I can go say Hi?" I dump my annoyance on the fact that he's standing in my way and not because of a certain someone.