Chapter 47

E L E O N O R A

Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding

I bolt awake, my body going on full alert. I look to the side, finding Tristan's side empty. Stuck to the headboard, I read the sticky note quickly.

I'm picking up Dani from Devon's. didn't want to wake u up.

I look at the digital clock on the night stand. 08:12 am

Unless Tristan forgot the keys, I don't have a single clue who's blowing up the doorbell like that.

Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding
Ding

Ugh! I hate alarms, but I hate that even more.

I rush downstairs in a black pajama set of shorts and a spaghetti strap top. I can't help but smile remembering Tristan helping me get dressed after a pampering shower last night.

Opening the door, I stop dead in my tracks.

Standing in a million dollar burgundy suit, my best friend/stylist, raises her eyebrow at me.

"Nessa?" I tilt my head, confused as to how she knew where I'm staying.

Only one person knows.

Kim.

"If you wanted a week off to go fly to god knows where, you could've at least told me, your best friend." She pushes past me, entering the house.

"Nessa..." I turn around, immediately regretting it because my best friend is standing with tears in her blue-green eyes.

"I was worried about you, Nora. I know you're not in the best of places right now, but I'm here. I've always been here and I always will. You don't pick up my calls and respond briefly to my texts–and it's okay. You can have all the time you want, but don't just disappear and expect me to be okay with that." Her voice broke, hurt swimming in her eyes.

I break inside, realizing how much I love her and how much I haven't been showing her that. She's always been the closest person to me. My soulmate. My ride or die. The blonde to my brunette. My best friend.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I wrap my arms around her neck, crying into her shoulders.

Not wasting a second, Nessa wraps me in a strong embrace, her tears soaking the thin fabric of my too.

"Are you doing okay?" She pulls back, inspecting my body.

"I am," I laught a tearful laugh, "I've been keeping something from you–or rather someone."

"What?" She shakes her head, confused.

As if summoned by the mention of herself, the door opens and Tristan and Dani come into view.

Nessa gasps, her palm over her mouth as she stares from Tristan to Dani to me and back to Dani.

"Dani," I smile down at my daughter, her dimples showing immediately, "I want you to meet my absolute bestiest best friend in the galaxy...Nessa."