Chapter 48

E L E O N O R A

I'm fucking confused.

"So you're telling me that after not speaking to each other for over four years, you saw each other at some bar, hooked up, drunkly slept together, and then got back to acting like nothing happened between the two of you?" I stare at Nessa, not hurt about her keeping the last encounter between them a secret because who am I to judge?

"Yes, except I am the one who got back to acting like we don't know each other. Dante...let's just say I have a fucking bodyguard trailing me to keep me safe," she said the word between quotation marks, "I've told him multiple times that I don't want that, but that exaltado keeps telling me that it's either him or a fucking bodyguard." Nessa says the Spanish word for hothead with passion. I knew the word because she used to say it to every guy at school.

"Wait, so where's the bodyguard?" Tristan asks, his fingers on his hips in deep concern. His brother is on the way. Let me say it more clearly: his brother who he hasn't seen for years and who has no clue about his four-year-old niece is on the way.

"I managed to lose him in traffic. That guy was the fifth one until now. Every time they fuck up, Dante knows and ends their contract. He hasn't given up already, and I guess this time he decided to do the job himself. I swear I'm going to kill his ass as soon as I see him." Her Spanish accent is much more noticeable when she's pissed.

"Nessa, can't you meet him somewhere else? How the fuck did he even know your location if you ditched the bodyguard?" I put my hand on my throat, suddenly nervous myself.

I also haven't seen Dante since the accident. He was a friend that I mourned over like the rest of them. Except he actually wasn't here.

"I can try," She sounds like she'd rather throw up, answering my first question, "I'm so sorry, Tristan."

He shakes his head with a look that says 'this isn't your fault. It was bound to happen.'

"I swear if that motherfucker has some kind of fucking tracker on me, he will be met with my wrath." My best friend's blue-green eyes were fiery.

Nessa picks up her phone and dials Dante's number. It must be to try and meet him somewhere else.

Looking at Tristan, I feel like he even wants to meet his brother.

"I suggest you quit trying to shoo me away like a fucking housefly because if I knock on the door in front of me and find you with some very unlucky douchebag, Nessa, I'm going to take your ass out of there and light his ass on fire." Dante's calm, but very dangerous voice comes through the phone's speaker.

A groan of angry frustration erupts from Nessa's mouth and before she has the chance to respond, someone knocks on the door.

Nessa is already telling me and Dani to go hide, but I look to Tristan's confident stride as he goes to the door and stop dead in my tracks.

It's happening.

He opens the door.

Three seconds of silence and then it happens too fast.

Dante punches Tristan's face.

"Daddy!" Dani rushes to her father's side.