Welcome Home

Weeks passed since the twins received that awful letter and they were now fresh into January of 1978, their NEWTs drawing closer by the second

Weeks passed since the twins received that awful letter and they were now fresh into January of 1978, their NEWTs drawing closer by the second. The Potter twins were desperately trying to distract themselves by studying almost twenty four hours of the day, the hours which were not spend studying were spent with each other. They shut their friends out basking in each others comfort, longing to be home with their parents again but they knew they could not and I suppose thats what hurt them the most. 

Their hearts ached for comfort, the comfort only a mother can give, but the problem was she wasn't there...and she may never be there again. It was only months until their eighteenth birthdays and here they were crying for their parents death. It was like an active grenade that was yet to explode, they knew exactly what destruction and pain was to come but they could do nothing but wait. 

Their friends were worried for them. Watching sorrowfully as the twins sobbed needing each other now more than ever, because they were on their own now, James was all Eloise had, and Eloise was all that James had. What ever would they do should something happen to the other? Their friends dreaded to think and shuddered at the mere mention of one of the twins without the other. 

"What do we do?" asked a worried Lily as she looked at her boyfriend who was currently curled up in a corner isolated from everyone with his sister, their eyes scanning the same page over and over again. 

"We need to be there for them" shrugged Sirius 

"But how?" squeaked Peter "They won't speak to anyone"

"We don't necessarily need to speak to them" said Sirius "We need to make sure that they know we are here for them, no matter what"

---

"El" Lily spoke softly finding her best friend passed out in the library drool on her chin and face in a book. 

Eloise opened one eye lazily to see who was speaking to her before closing the same eye again not willing to speak to anyone at the moment. 

"El, you might not want to speak, you might want to, but I promise you it will help, I won't force you to talk to me but I am here, we all are" said the ginger girl softly "we care about you El and seeing you like this is hurting us all, Sirius especially, we just want to be here for you"

Eloise didn't say anything but Lily knew that the girl was listening, they sat in silence for a few more seconds before it was broken by a heart-wrenching sob emitted from Eloise. Her eyes were red rimmed and puffy, cheeks stained with mascara and tears, dark bags under her eyes which she had tried to cover with concealer but there was no avail, her usually soft plump lips were now dry and cracked. Lily threw her arms around her sister kissing her head as she sobbed into her chest. 

"I-I don't know what I'm gonna do Lils" she cried as Lily stroked her hair allowing a few tears of her own to slip out of her eyes "M-My mum and Dad Lily" she sobbed "What am I gonna do with out them? She's my best friend- and- and- they won't even get to see me get m-married, and my dad-" she broke off into a sob "my dad won't be able to walk me down the-" but she was cut off as she choked on another sob.

"I know baby I know" whispered Lily comforting the girl as best as she could.

---

Meanwhile James was feeling no better as he cried silently into his pillow, Fish was nuzzling him attempting to comfort the potter boy sensing his distress, but he continued to cry ignoring the kitten and not even bothering to look up when he heard Sirius enter the room. The boys were like brothers and well the twins hadn't really considered that Sirius was losing Euphemia and Fleamont too. But in saying that Sirius hadn't lived with the Potters long and he spent most of the time at Hogwarts. Sirius said nothing as he sighed sadly and sat on the end of James' bed. He rubbed the boys back comfortingly making him finally look up from his pillow. 

His hazel eyes that were usually swimming with joy and mischief were void of any kind of happiness, the only expression etched upon his features was one of eternal misery, in all honesty James looked like what Sirius imagined someone who was locked up in Azkaban with thousands of dementors would look like. His features were dark, and he had paled significantly, the boys usual athletic build was now just skin and bone, he looked beyond ill at this point and it was a heart breaking sight to see. 

"I'm sorry" said James though sobs "I've been so caught up wallowing in self pity I never once thought that maybe I'm not the only one who's losing them" he cried making Sirius' eyes widen.

"James' mate you're hurting...you've just been told that your parents probably won't live to see next year, you don't need to apologise for anything" Sirius said softly hugging his mate as he sobbed. Oh how the tables had turned, Sirius thought, around this time last year he and James were sat in the same position on the same bed as Sirius sobbed into his brothers arms, only this time James' heart break was immeasurable and probably over one thousand times worse than how Sirius felt. 

"I just- I always thought they would live forever you know?" he sniffed "I think everyone thinks that, but then suddenly it happens..and it hits you like a slap in the face, and you just realise, no one lives forever, not even Mum and Dad, they're going to die, and theres nothing we can do about it, its the circle of fucking life and oh merlin do I hate it. I hate it so much." he cried "Why do they have to die? Why do they have to leave me? To leave El? They'll never meet my children..or El's" he sobbed throat burning painfully but it was nothing compared to what his heart was going through right now. "I always just assumed they'd be around forever..they're my mum and dad you know?" chuckled James humourlessly trying to smile at least slightly but found it impossible. "What am I gonna do Pads? I just wanna go home" he sobbed like a distressed child "How am I meant to go on without them?.."

"You remember" began Sirius "That it's a cycle. And cycles never end, and one day, it will be your turn to go" he said softly "And one day you'll see your mum and dad again. But this is just their time mate, their business is finished here, they've seen their children grow and they've watched learn to speak, walk, prank" joked the boy trying to lighten the mood "But now, it's your turn to do these things, and they're still here, they always will be because the ones who love us never really leave us, you'll always find them in here" said the boy taking James' hand and placing it on his heart. "They're right here with you no matter what happens, they always will be" continued Sirius "And they'll be there to see you get married, and have many many children, and they'll be there watching you raise them just as well as they raised you, and when it's your time to leave." he said pausing momentarily "they will be there to welcome you to the other side wherever that may be with open arms, and they'll say-"

"Welcome Home."

a/n- absolutely sobbed writing this, even if it is a bit naff, anyway POA quote in there ;) Listened to a marauders playlist on YouTube thats got me crying, really gets me in my feels and inspires me to write these angsty/sad chapters anyway, this is only gonna get sadder because DEATH DEATH DEATH. anyway who's next on my Hitlist? Hmmmm...oh yeah! you're gonna hate me but it has to be done. Love you all, almost at 100 chapters!!

ALSO: after I complete this book, I will be rewriting as soon as I get the other books out of the way because it needs some sirius editing. (Ha SIRIUS EDITITING GEDDIT?), but I need to fix it so the math is right and maybe I'll make it more slow-burn, idk yet, but yeah thought I'd let you all know.