Five more minutes

a/n- this chapter is just going to be about James and Lily, next I'll do Sirius. And then well...I think the book may come to a close. This half anyway ;) It's been a week feel like I owe you guys so have a MEH ONE. its a bit shite ngl not got much motivation but needed a distraction

It had been months since Eloise had died and James was still distraught, he felt as though nothing could fill the hole in which his sister once was

It had been months since Eloise had died and James was still distraught, he felt as though nothing could fill the hole in which his sister once was. The litter of broken promises was all that was left behind. And the necklace. That fucking necklace. James couldn't help but wonder if maybe he took it off sooner she would still be here. She would still be alive. 

Sometimes he would wake up and forget that she was gone, only remembering when he saw the photo of them together on his bedside table. None of it seemed real, even if it had been months since he saw her. Sometimes he liked to pretend she was just in hiding for whatever reason that may be, and by Halloween they'll be together again, with Harry, Sirius, Remus, Peter, Lily. Everyone together again watching as little harry zooms around the room on the broomstick that Sirius brought him. But then he'd wake up and understand she wasn't coming back. Ever. What he would give for five more minutes with his sister, five more minutes to say goodbye, to hold her, to laugh with her, to stop her from walking out of that fucking door.

Lily was too heartbroken however her tears ceased after three months without her friend, learning to accept that Eloise was just not coming back. This of course did not mean that the girl was okay, she was far from it, but she had to focus on her son. Her little Harry, the boy who would never know his beautiful aunt. Now that Eloise was gone stress levels were high in the Potter household, the routine that they had grown accustomed to changed completely. Once upon a time it was wake up, dress harry, reply to Remus, reply to Alice, reply to El, cook dinner, go to bed. Now it's wake up, dress harry, reply to Remus, reply to Alice, write to El, cook dinner, listen to her husbands sobs that he thinks she cannot hear. 

October 17th 1981, was the day that Lily found out she was pregnant with another baby Potter. One she hoped would be a girl so she could name it after her best friend and James' late sister. Everything was ready to tell James on Halloween which was only a week away now. Lily hoped that this baby could be the light in this dark time, maybe it was this news that would restore the smile on her husbands face. It was the last speck of hope she had in seeing her husband smile again. 

Meanwhile just a room away, James was tucked in the corner of the room quill in hand staring at a blank piece of parchment spare the word or name 'Ellie'. This was it. He was saying goodbye. 

Ellie,

I don't think I really thought about how hard this might be. I genuinely never though that you would leave us. I though you meant what you said when you said forever, 'till we're old and grey right? You broke our promise El, you're gone. Are you at least with mum and dad? 

Fuck. I'm the last one standing eh? The last pureblood Potter. Not gonna lie, thought I'd go before you but..apparently not. Sirius is a mess, he ain't spoke to anyone since you went away, Remus has moved in to look after him. Is it pretty? heaven I mean. Mum always told us the stories when we were little about how beautiful heaven was, and that the angels were dancing and having a party when there was lighting, because we'd scared. Remember? Do you remember el? Eh? 

I wish I could get a reply back, even just a sign. Tell you what, how about this. If you're still here, if you can see us, hear us. Send a sign. No. Send an owl. A white snowy one. Then I'll know it's you, they're not native round here. Then I can say goodbye to you properly eh? Five minutes, thats all I need. Just five. 

I miss you so much Ellie. 

You know if you was here right now, I reckon you'd give me a clip round the head and tell me to stop being ridiculous. You'd probably say some shit like 'it's the circle of life' or something silly. Gonna have Halloween without you next week. Christmas n all, not next week obviously but you know what I mean. 

You know I never thought that we'd start 1981 without you. I spent an entire birthday without you. I couldn't bring myself to blow out the candles without you. Lily made a cake. 42 candles. 21 for me. 21 for you. 21 El, we're 21. I am anyway. You only made it to 20. Ha loser. 

I hope I see you soon, I don't think I can do this much longer. I'm losing hope El. Please come back. You promised. I know I keep going on a bit but I honestly don't want to finish this letter. Because that means I can't speak to you anymore. Sounds pathetic really. Can't speak to you anyway, but at least this way I can keep reading your old letters and pretend they're the replies to new ones eh? 

Lily and I were thinking of getting a dog. What do you think? Nice little tan and black German Shepard. Molly's pregnant again, hopefully it's a girl. She wanted you to be godmother obviously because you're the twins and Ron's but I don't suppose you can be anymore..can you? No. You can't .

I can't say anything else really. I haven't been out since you went out, you'll come back soon though I'm sure. Snowy Owl remember? 

Alright El. This is it. Thank you for being there for me in our twenty years of life we spent together. I love you always little sister. 

Till we're old and grey.

Your big brother, 

James Fleamont Potter xx