A rat

a/n- this chapter is sooo boring, JUST a filler, and then next few chapters should be a bit more eventful.

March 1980, Order of the Phoenix headquarters

The day mimicked the mood in the room, the previous celebrations of the past two months before where Lily and Eloise and THEN Alice all announced their pregnancies were now long forgotten. The overcast skies mirroring the mood of each person in that room, where they would usually feel a sense of security, that feeling existed no more, as Alastor Moody spoke those dreaded words. Those words that made them question every decision that they had made over the past nine years of their lives. They could trust no one.

"Voldemort has an informant" he said making everyone fall silent. "We believe..that they have been passing information onto him for a few months now..." Moody said making Eloise instantly dart her eyes over into the direction of a certain blonde.

"Who is it?" squeaked Peter nervously. 

"Thats the problem..we don't know, it could be any of you" said the man gruffly "Constant Vigilance! Trust no one! You friends are your enemies now. Should you tell anyone anything, you best be sure you can trust them with your life."

"Do you have any suspicions of who it could be?" asked Lily gently James placing his hands on her stomach protectively. 

"Not yet." Alastor huffed "Black." he snapped grabbing the attention of Eloise and Sirius. 

"Aye?" they spoke in unison. 

"Female Black" he corrected himself "Dumbledore said you're a target, said you might know a bit about it, wants you to see him later" 

"I am" she shrugged nonchalantly "I know this already" she explained making everyones head snap round to her suspiciously, not including her friends. "What?"

"How would you know?" spat Vance "Maybe it's you. You're the rat, heard you got a good friendship with Regulus Black." she scoffed "And well..we all know where he stands in this war"

"Stood" Eloise hissed standing up straight with her six months pregnant belly "Regulus died. And he told me I was the target before doing so in a letter" she said growing angry at the insult directed toward her late best friend. 

"So it is you?" scoffed Marlene standing up now challengingly "Been writing love letters to your husbands brother? oh how the tables have turned am I right, Sirius?" 

"Fuck off Marlene" he spat angrily "It's not El. She's not the rat" scoffed Sirius "Why would she put her own life at risk when she knows she's a target? Fucking idiot."

"Bold words for a girl who's got herself a bit of a reputation for betraying her friends" retorted Eloise angrily "Maybe you're the rat, wouldn't come as much of a surprise anymore..would it McKinnon, we all know you tend to let your tongue slip a bit" 

"If that's the logic you have maybe it's your darling husband who you seem to worship so much" bit back the blonde. "But even if it was" scoffed Marlene "You'd forgive him anyway..you've always been a stupid bitch like that" 

"Don't talk to my sister like that McKinnon" James stood up angrily stepping closer to the girl as Remus held him back "You're fucking lucky I don't hit girls" he spat "Because after everything you put my sister through..if you were a lad I would've caved your skull in a long time ago"

"Enough!" roared Alice angrily "Black, Potter sit down. McKinnon pack it in" she glared "Don't you see?" she asked rhetorically "This is exactly what Voldemort wants. He wants us to turn on each other, to hurt each other, it gives him less work and makes it harder for us to communicate and so far he's doing a bloody good job at winning!" she huffed angrily "I am four months from giving birth same with Lily and El you have three. We do not need this kind of stress! so will you stop it! as for you!" she turned pointing at Marlene "You have some nerve accusing Eloise like that, and riling her up given her condition. You disgust me" she spat "It could be any one of us" she breathed "Whether we have a reputation or not, you heard what Moody said. Trust no one, that means don't tell people valuable information about any missions not fucking rip each others heads off and shout accusations and profanities at each other, honestly you're behaving like children!"

"Thank you Longbottom" nodded Moody curtly "Black's..I suggest you think about going into hiding" said Moody "That means to order meetings, at least until your babies are born, if Voldemort made you a target he won't stop until he gets what he wants, he won't even stop for your children." 

"I'll do anything" nodded Sirius eagerly "Just please make sure my children and wife are safe"

"We'll do what we can" said Moody "Be ready by next Tuesday, and pick a secret keeper, I'll see you all next week" 

The room fell quiet as everyone began leaving to go to their appropriate homes, but Sirius and El stayed back. "Why didn't you tell me?" asked Sirius softly holding his wife close. 

"I didn't want you to worry" she shrugged sadly 

"Of course I would worry, I'll always worry about you." he said gently "Especially now that you're carrying my babies" he smiled pecking her lightly, noticing the frown still on her face "whats wrong?"

"I'm scared- I sound pathetic but...a rat..in the order...one of our friends Sirius...it could be anyone. W-what if they find me" she sobbed "what if they hurt my babies, what if they hurt James or you or Lily or Remus or Peter or-"

"Hey, hey, hey, calm down" soothed the man "I won't let them" he said stroking her head comfortingly "I won't ever let them hurt you, or my children" he whispered "I love you too much"

"I love you too" she smiled halfheartedly "I suppose we ought to get home and packing"

"Yeah..I reckon we should.." he said gently "It's going to be okay..I promise you"

"And I wish I could believe you."