I was so close

a/n- decided not to write James and Lily's death scene, so have this instead. Got this idea from a comment so shoutout to you bbs.

The last thing that James Potter could remember was shouting up to his wife in sheer panic and then a bright green jet of light hitting him square in the face

The last thing that James Potter could remember was shouting up to his wife in sheer panic and then a bright green jet of light hitting him square in the face. He groaned rubbing his head where the light hit as he sat up seemingly in the middle of a field of dandelions. Everything seemed brighter than before. There was a large forest in the distance and something that appeared to be a sort of carbon copy of Potter manor. And at the edge of the field there was what appeared to be a large window looking over their home in Godrics Hollow. 

"What the fuck?" he muttered in confusion until there was another flash of light and a light thud. James scrambled over to where he saw the light appear and through the dandelions caught a glimpse of fiery red hair. "Lily" he muttered in realisation. "Lils" he said shaking her slightly "Wake up!" the girl groaned in discomfort. 

"Where am I?" she squinted her eyes overwhelmed by the sudden brightness 

"Wondering if you're in heaven?" grinned James flirtatiously "I know I'm attractive but I think of myself as more of a devil rather than angel I-"

"Angel" said Lily eyes wide in realisation "Harry! Wheres Harry? Did he get him?"

"What are you on about love? You were meant to get away!" said James in concern worry creeping through him. But Lily didn't answer jumping up and rushing to the window to see if she could spot any sign of her son. Instead she saw Sirius Black running up to the house then letting out a devastated cry. 

"Prongs!" he sobbed crying over his best friends dead body "Come on wake up! Prongs please! I cant lose you as well!" 

"Fucking hell he's a sap ain't he" commented James earning a glare from Lily "Sorry" he shrugged sheepishly. "Wait are we dead? Fuck me we're dead. Can I walk through walls?" James wondered spotting a nearby wall. Convenient. He thought to himself and braced himself before running straight at it only to fall flat on his arse. "No. It appears I can not" he pouted. 

"Oh James stop acting like a child and get over here!" beckoned Lily "Look there's Hagrid" she whispered pointing at the half giant who was approaching the front door of the house just as Sirius walked out with his godson in his arms. "Oh he's okay" sighed Lily in relief "My boy is okay. It worked"

"Oi why does he get to live and we don't!" frowned James "Wait what worked?"

"Don't you worry your little cotton socks James. All that matters is our son is okay." 

"What the fuck!" shouted James indignantly 

"Don't be so crude!"

"No look!" pointed the man in the direction of Sirius who was resisting but ultimately very reluctantly giving Harry to Hagrid.

"Dumbledores orders" said the giant gruffly "Sorry Black. 'es got ter live with the Dursley's"

"Your sister?!" groaned James "That cow!"