Almost

To say James Potter was furious would be an understatement

To say James Potter was furious would be an understatement. He was full with pure rage, faced flushed red and some first years were even saying that they could see steam coming from his ears. Remus and Peter followed their angry friend desperately trying to stop him from seriously seriously hurting Sirius Black.

The Potter boy stormed through the corridors and into the great hall where everyone was sat for breakfast. Upon noticing the boys red and angry expression the hall broke out into whispers, the boy scanned the hall with his eyes looking for the eldest Black brother before his eyes settled on the familiar head of hair at the Gryffindor table, thankfully away from Eloise who was sat talking with Lily, Marlene and Alice. 

He marched up to the boy grabbing him by the collar and colliding his fist with the boys face. "How could you?!" he roared grabbing everyones attention. No one had ever seen the boy so angry, let alone when the anger was directed at Sirius. The pair were inseparable they were brothers. So what did he do to anger the boy so much?

"James!" gasped Eloise standing up from where she was sat the girls following suit "What are you doing?"

But the Potter boy ignored his sister continuing to scream profanities at the boy in front of him, who was making no effort to stop him but looked at the ground in shame ignoring the pain in the side of his face. I deserve it. he thought.

"My sister. My fucking sister Padfoot. How could you?" screamed the boy hurt and angered by his friends actions. Eloise hearing these words dropped her hand from her brothers arm and she turned to her boyfriend with a confused stare. But he didn't meet her eyes. He couldn't, he knew if he did he might just break down. His heart would break, because it was time. It was time to face the consequences of his actions no matter how much he didn't want to, no matter how many times he would apologise to her, to James it wouldn't change anything.

Davey Brinkman watched the scene amused and proud that he had managed to get to the Potter boy. Mia Colton stood up from the Ravenclaw table and walked over to her Gryffindor friends, specifically Marlene whispering. "What's going on?" 

"I don't know" Marlene whispered back

Regulus watched the scene worried for his brother, worried for Eloise. Because if James was this angry it was because someone had hurt his twin, no one could hurt Eloise Potter and get away with it. The idea that his brother had hurt Eloise but taken her from him made him fume, but he couldn't help but worry for his safety.

"Mr Potter what is the meaning of this?" shrieked McGonagall 

"James what's going on?" Eloise asked her brother 

"Why don't you ask your boyfriend El? Ask him what he's been doing for the past three months.." he seethed "Go on Black tell her." he gestured "Fucking tell her!" he roared "Tell her what you did! Tell her how you've been lying to her for the past three months! Tell her how across three of the whole eleven months that you have been dating you've been cheating on her with multiple girls! Go on tell her!" 

The great hall fell silent at the revelation and Eloise glanced around the hall seeing different girls with their heads held down shamefully. The girls and McGonagall let out a gasp the latter sending a disappointed glare in the direction of the boy and the girls' hearts breaking for Eloise.

"Is this true Mr Black?" McGonagall asked sternly. 

"He what?" she whispered barely audibly, before turning to Sirius "tell me it's not true" she breathed holding back tears

"Love-"

"No Sirius tell me it's not true and this is just another one of your fucked up pranks, tell me you didn't really do it, and you would never do that because you love me. right?"

"Of course I love you!" pleaded the boy desperately "Please don't leave me, you promised me you'd never leave me"

"You promised me you'd never hurt me. So I guess we both broke our promises huh?" she said trying to hold back tears 

"No. No. No. No. don't do this. Please we can get through this. I love you" he begged letting the tears flow freely down his face not caring who could see anymore. Not caring about his pride, or his surely damaged reputation. 

"No we can't Sirius." She laughed through tears "I wish we could because I love you. But I know I'm better than this. I know I don't deserve to be treated like this. If you loved me I would be enough for you but I wasn't. I wish I was but I just wasn't, clearly. And I apologise for that. But I can't forgive you, I can't take you back and pretend this never happened because shit like this, that can't be forgotten." she sighed "We're over Sirius. Congratulations, you got what you wanted right? You got your reputation back."

"El-"

The girl didn't look back at the boy as she left the great hall her sobbing. Her friends following her to comfort the girl. Regulus Black glared at his brother meeting his eyes shaking his head disappointedly at him. 

"Fifty points from Gryffindor Mr Black. And you will be serving detention with Mr Filch until after Christmas." Said McGonagall shaking her head at the boy moving back to the staff table. 

"Don't ever fucking speak to me again." seethed James 

Sirius stared at the spot where Eloise once stood. His heart shattering, James' glare was harsh on the boy even after he began the walk away out of the hall after his sister. Sirius Black felt numb, he had truly lost everything. And it was all his fault. 

"Do you hate me too?" he whispered not meeting the eyes of Peter and Remus

"We don't hate you." Remus shook his head "It was an arsehole thing to do and we won't forgive you for it, but we don't hate you"

"We're not even angry, we're disappointed" sighed Peter "We really thought you loved her" 

"I do.." whispered Sirius eyes swimming with regret, remorse, anger but the most overpowering of them all was the heartbreak. The truth in his words was prominent and that was clear to the boys in front of him who almost. Key word being almost. Felt sorry for him. But they didn't he deserved this, it was his fault. Almost is probably the saddest word in the dictionary, James Potter almost killed Sirius Black, Eloise Potter almost blamed herself, Almost everyone hated Sirius, and Eloise felt that she was almost good enough for him. But clearly not enough. 

Almost.