Truth hurts

Pain seared through every inch of Eloises body making her scream in agony as she felt her body begin to spin whilst she held onto the portkey

Pain seared through every inch of Eloises body making her scream in agony as she felt her body begin to spin whilst she held onto the portkey. The pain was so great she hardly felt it when she landed rather harshly might I add, on the ground. 

She lay there in pain for a few short moments, as realisation dawned upon her. She thought of her friends, her husband..her brother. The pain she felt from the landing and curse was nothing compared to that within her heart. She had barely been gone for twenty minutes but she knew that by now they all knew of her 'death'. There was no going back. Not yet at least. 

She tried to stand, a feeble attempt really, her body was weak and her limbs ached with pain and her knees bucked momentarily before she regained her balance and took in her surroundings. She was in the middle of a clearing in a forest, mountains could be seen off in the distance and pine trees covered almost every inch of the land around her except from this small clearing. The air clear and all that could be heard for miles was the hoot of owls. 

"Dumbledore told me you'd be coming." came an all too familiar voice. 

"Ophelia" said Eloise in relief.

"Arm looks pretty shit mate" nodded the blonde. 

"Feels it" Eloise laughed half heartedly a smile on her lips that was unable to reach her eyes as her thoughts drifted to her family, a wave of realisation falling upon her. "My children where ar-"

"They're safe El" reassured Ophelia "They're inside" she smiled gently. "Come on, let's get you fixed up" she spoke guiding the injured woman through the pine trees. 

"Bloody hell Phelia, where are we?"

"Russia" was all the blonde said in response "I've been looking for Reg...he's been missing for months now...I know my dad sent some of his death eaters here so I figured..."

"Oh Ophelia..." frowned Eloise

"He's dead isn't he?" Ophelia laughed humourlessly "I figured as much" she said sadly "Guess I was holding onto false hope.." 

"I'm sorry" Eloise whispered 

"Don't be.." said Ophelia sadly "We're here" is all the blonde said as they stopped in front of a small wooden cabin. "No one else can see this..it's hidden to muggles and wizards. All they'll see is more trees..no one comes in these woods anyway..but I suppose it's just a precaution. Sit down..I'll fix you up" gestured the woman as they entered.

The cabin had a cosy feel about it, but it wasn't homely. A fire was lit and the interior consisted of various shades of white, brown, grey and black. Eloise could hear the soft snores of her twins in the room next to her and a smile fell onto her face as she glanced at her sleeping babies in their separate cots. The smile vanished from her face however when a sharp pain shot through her arm "Ouch!" 

"It's better if you don't expect it" shrugged Ophelia as Eloise rubbed her arm. 

"Thanks.." she muttered with a frown

"Dumbledore didn't tell me much" Ophelia spoke up "Said something about a prophecy and your babies..."

"Yes" interrupted Eloise eagerly "he said..you might know a way..to break the prophecy..reverse it or something" she begged looking at her friend who stared at her in silence, a hidden pain behind her eyes despite her emotionless face.

"You can't" she said bluntly. "All we can do it delay the inevitable" 

"Y-you mean" 

"One of your children must die." concluded Ophelia her heart aching but she would not allow her face to show it. Truth was in the short amount of time she had known the babies she had grown rather fond of them, and not only that but it pained her greatly to see one of her dearest friends in agony. 

Sobs raked through Eloise's body as she struggled to compose herself. "When?"

"Only time will tell" Ophelia said tears brimming her eyes as she spoke her next words the thought of regulus on her mind. "I suppose you ought to live everyday every second as if it is their last. As cruel as it may sound..the future is no promise. You never know when you may lose the ones you love the most". Sensing that her friend was no longer referring to her children and so approached her with a comforting hand placed on her shoulder. "How did you know?" asked the blonde, a question she already knew the answer to deep down. "About him being..."

"He wrote me a letter" said Eloise vaguely "His house elf...kreacher..gave it to me"

"Of course he did" said Ophelia letting out a hollow chuckle cutting off Eloise as she opened her mouth to apologise. "Don't" she said with a small smile "Don't apologise, it was always going to be you El"

"He did love you" reassure Eloise "Truly"

"But not like he loved you" said Ophelia sending her a knowing look "He told me far too often he wasn't in love with you anymore...he was trying to convince himself more than me, because funnily enough a love like he held for you? that never leaves." Eloise stood speechless unsure as to what she should say next but Ophelia continued "I figured if anything were to happen..you would be the last person he would want to speak to..you would be the one to know first, I don't want to know what he said in the letter, but I want to know what happened to him"

"The letter didn't explain much.." said Eloise "It mentioned horcruxes...and your father"

"Horcruxes?" asked Ophelia alarmed. "Y-you mean"

"He's immortal.." nodded Eloise "And Reg found one" she continued pulling the locket out of her pocket "The-the locket." she gestured showing Ophelia "But there was a cave and inferi and he..."

"I understand" she nodded trying hard to hold back tears.

"We have to destroy it" she said "The house elf...he will help if we can't find a way..but I thought..Dumbledore and I though that you might know how to.."

"We can try..but it could take months...years even. You might not be able to see your family again for a very long time El" frowned Ophelia in concern

"I know that" said Eloise "But I need to know if you are prepared to do this..to betray your father"

"I'm prepared to do anything to stop him"

"Are you prepared to kill him?" asked Eloise to which she was met with silence "Exactly"

"It's not that I'm not prepared to kill him" said the girl quickly "It's just that he's the only family I have left."

"No he's not" said Eloise "You have me. And the twins." she smiled gently patting Ophelia gently on the back leaving the girl to her thoughts as she went to check on her babies. 

Ophelia frowned clutching a small folded piece of paper buried in her pocket. She unfolded it gently a sad smile on her lips as she stared at the moving photo, reminiscing on the last time she saw the boy she loved the most. In the moving picture Ophelia was grinning at the camera as Regulus planted a sloppy kiss on her cheek a look of love in her eyes. But as she compared it to the photos she had seen of him and Eloise, the love in his eyes was nothing compared to that, that they held when he looked at the Potter..well now..Black girl. Ophelia chuckled sadly letting tears slip out of her eyes as she stared down at the photo. "It was always going to be her huh?"

"Ophelia?" frowned Eloise in concern "Are you alright?"

"Yeah" she nodded wiping her tears with an accepting smile "Truth hurts" she shrugged.