Chapter 20: Dangerous Throwback

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

6:20 A.M

-Incident area-

Jiryu dragged his finger across the red mark that Kazuo sketched on the concrete filled with grey ash splattered on every corner of the huge land as he squatted down. He examined his finger for a moment, not looking for a specific detail on it, but mindlessly doing it as he thought of different possibilities just to help the raven head. Even if it was a little.

Kazuo's black shoes were threading noisily on the dried clumps of burnt sand, making crunching sounds every now and then as he looked around the area.

A strong sound of a stomp make Jiryu flinch and stare up at the raven head who was ruffling his smooth, black hair all over the place with his hands.

"Arghhh! This is so frustrating!" He exclaimed as he repeatedly smacked his forehead as if it would make ideas spill out of his head.

Jiryu silently scoffed before he rubbed his fingers together to get rid of the remains of the dust. He stood up and walked over to the sour raven head who was having trouble with this case. He just couldn't figure out what was causing the explosions.

"Mhm yeah," Jiryu agreed as he closed his eyes, "It's too tiring,"

"I said frustrating not tiring. You're tired," Kazuo sighed.

"Well, what's the point in investigating when you know that this is done by a magical cult?" Jiryu crossed his arms, not bothered by the fact that they were standing on top of the ashes of his mansion.

"Magical cult?" Kazuo started, "I'm just helping you," The raven head tapped his foot on the floor, his black shoes matching with his leather jacket—and hair too.

"I already told you. I can just buy a new one," The blond rolled his eyes.

"One, two, three fucking times—"

Jiryu slapped the side of Kazuo's hair, seeing his round head move and almost untouchable locks bounce.

"What was that for?!"

"You're cursing for no reason, but, actually I've wanted to do that long ago," Jiryu proudly said, "I mean it's so round—"

"—My head?! Are you serious?"

Jiryu nodded.

"You're impossible,"

Kazuo groaned, "Whatever, what I was going to say is that your house is haunted because you're a ghost, so if you buy another mansion, Mr. Rich, it'll also burn to ashes,"

"I'm not dumb," Jiryu pouted, "Just explain it to me the way you would to Kou,"

"Why? You're not on the same level," Kazuo walked away, deciding to save time instead of bickering with the blond. Jiryu followed behind him, a visible frown on his face.

"What level?"

Kazuo ignored him as he kept looking around.

"What level are you talking about? Kazuo," Jiryu pressed, "What level? And why do I need to be on it for you to tell me?" 

Kazuo sighed. The blond really was impossible.