Chapter 63: Stay Away

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

5:12 P.M

–Zen's house-

     The redhead was cleaning his room, picking up stray clothes and books scattered across the floor, when his phone buzzed. He glanced at the screen and saw his father's name. With a sigh, he answered the call, holding the phone between his ear and shoulder as he continued to tidy up.

     "Hey, Dad."

     "Zen, how are you?" his father's warm, familiar voice greeted him. "I've been thinking it's about time for you to start working as an intern at the company."

      Zen felt a pang of annoyance but kept his tone neutral. "Dad, I'm really busy with school 'nd other stuff right now. I don't think I can manage it."

      "I understand you're busy," his father replied gently. "But you don't have to come in every day. Once or twice a week would be enough to get some experience and see how things work."

      Zen hesitated, trying to think of another excuse. There's no way he could do that while also going to university, training, and preparing for their plan. "But I've got a lot on my plate. I don't think it's the right time."

     His father's voice remained calm and reassuring. "I know it seems like a lot, but I believe it's important for your future. Just give it a try. I'll send a driver to pick you up tomorrow at 7 AM. If it doesn't work out, we can talk about it then. How does that sound?"

     Zen groaned inwardly but knew his father wasn't going to relent. "Fine. Whatever."

     "Great. Thanks, son. I know you'll do well. See you tomorrow."

     As the call ended, Zen tossed his phone onto the bed and huffed. "Great," he muttered to himself. "Just what I needed."

     He continued cleaning his room, but his mind was now preoccupied with thoughts of the internship and what it might entail. Despite his reluctance, he knew he had to at least give it a shot.

----------------------------

     The next day, Zen woke up early, feeling a mix of dread and resignation. He pulled himself out of bed and went to his closet, staring at the suit his father had sent over. He dressed slowly, buttoning up the shirt and slipping on the jacket. Standing in front of the mirror, he tugged at the collar, which felt uncomfortably tight against his neck.

      "This is ridiculous," he muttered to himself, trying to adjust it to no avail. The top buttons felt like they were choking him. With a frustrated sigh, he unbuttoned the top few buttons and tried to breathe easier. The jacket felt stiff and confining, so he shrugged it off and tossed it onto the bed.

      Zen rummaged through his closet until he found a suit vest. He slipped it on over his shirt, feeling more at ease with the less restrictive fit. He glanced in the mirror again, adjusting the vest and nodding in approval. It was still formal, but much more comfortable and suited to his style.

       Grabbing his phone and wallet, Zen headed to the front door. As he stepped out onto the porch, he unexpectedly bumped into a figure.

      He looked up to see Cicero standing there with his hands casually tucked into his pockets.

      For a moment, both of them were taken aback, but as Cicero's eyes ran over Zen, taking in the suit vest and unbuttoned shirt, a smirk slowly spread across his face in appreciation.

      "What do we have here?" Cicero drawled, his voice laced with amusement.

     Zen felt like a deer caught in headlights under Cicero's intense gaze. He snapped out of it quickly, shaking his head. "I don't have time for this," he muttered, trying to move past Cicero from the open side.