Chapter 55: My Name

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

9:20 P.M

– Tokyo Streets–

Cicero pulled up outside Zen's house, the engine of his car purring softly as he brought it to a stop. Turning off the ignition, he glanced over at Zen, who was sitting beside him with a stubborn expression on his face.

"We're here," Cicero said.

Zen crossed his arms defiantly, refusing to meet Cicero's gaze. "I can see that," he muttered, his tone gruff.

Cicero chuckled softly at Zen's attitude, finding it endearing. "Alright, well, take care of yourself, okay?" he said, reaching over to give Zen's shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

Zen huffed, but didn't pull away from Cicero's touch. "I always do," he muttered, a hint of warmth creeping into his voice despite his stubborn demeanor.

The green head smiled. "Yeah, I know you do," he replied, his tone fond. "I'll have someone get your bike."

Zen shot him a sidelong glance, his expression softening slightly before he nodded. "Thanks for the ride, idiot," he let out.

Cicero nodded, a smile playing at the corners of his lips. "Anytime, Zeno," he said, before the redhead opened the car door and stepped out onto the pavement.

As he watched Zen disappear into his house, Cicero couldn't help but feel a swell of fondness for him. Despite his stubbornness and grumpiness, Zen had a way of warming his heart like no one else could.

Zen stepped out of the car and made his way towards the front door of his house. He unlocked the door and entered inside. As he approached, he noticed Taya sitting on the couch, her brow furrowed in concentration as she tapped away at her phone, her expression tense and anxious.

Curiosity piqued, Zen approached her quietly, not wanting to startle her. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked softly, his voice laced with concern.

Taya looked up, her eyes widening in surprise at Zen's sudden appearance. "Oh, Zen," she said, "How was the party?"

"Are you okay?" the redhead looked down at her and tried to subtly see what was on her phone. "Is there some fucker that is bothering you or somthin'?"

"No, um" Taya scratched her head, wondering if she should tell her brother, "it's just mom. She wants me to come home."

"What?" Zen's voice bordered on exasperation, "it's late now."

Taya rubbed her arm nervously, "She-uh, she'll get really mad if I don't come though." she proceeded to get up from the couch to start packing her things.

Zen was quick to stop her, ""Taya, you're staying here tonight," he said firmly, his voice leaving no room for argument. "I'll drop you home tomorrow, but I'm not letting you go back to her tonight."

Taya's eyes widened in surprise at her brother's sudden declaration. "But Zen, I can't just—"

"No buts," Zen interrupted, his tone leaving no room for negotiation. "You're not going back there."

Taya's shoulders sagged as she gave in, knowing there was no way around Zen when he was serious. "Okay, fine," she said.

——————————

The following day, Zen handed Taya a helmet and she looked at him in pure horror.

"I'm not getting on that." she gestured to his black bike. "I still want to live."