Chapter 41: Unruly Inferior

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

6:04 P.M

– Castle's Lockup –

     "I'm sorry," Zen rasped out as he lowered his head.

     "Don't be," Kazuo said and reached out for a handshake, "You're not at fault. You're okay and that's what matters."

     Zen's palm wavered, but it was on Kazuo's after a while. The scarlet eyed boy was quick to clasp his fingers around Zen's cold hand tightly, grateful he decided to hold his hand.

     Zen's dull eyes watered and he nodded. Then, he heard a loud sound and looked to his left to see that Rehan had kicked the metal bars, tears rolling down his face and his brows creased in anger.

     "I hate him! That disgusting, ugly—fricking—creature. Next time I see you, I will beat you up, you piece of shit!" Rehan shouted to no one in particular, his voice traveling in the empty, dark hallway.

     Kazuo looked back at Zen and saw that he had calmed down by a bit. Rehan walked over to them and gave Zen a pat on his back before he quickly retracted his  hand.

     "It's okay," Zen told him, a reassuring look on his face and Rehan smiled softly.

      Zen slowly lifted his upper body and stayed seated on both knees. He looked at Kazuo then Rehan.

     "I—uh, I brought something," He announced quietly and ran his hand through his red locks, as if searching for something in the mop of hair. He shook his head and ruffled his hair around until his hand made contact with something. Zen slowly took it off and showed it to both of the boys.

     "A hair pin?" Rehan asked.

     "I managed to heist off Cesal when it fell on the floor. He used it to pick a lock of a locked door and I thought that maybe we could do the same with the cell," Zen glanced at the cell door. They observed the dark padlock hanging of the cell's door.

      Kazuo's lip tugged upwards slightly as he took the hair pin from Zen's hand, "This will do us good."

     Rehan chuckled, "This is real handy."

     "I mean—I know everything about lock picking. What you did is incredible, you just helped us by a great deal. Thank you," Kazuo twirled the hair pin around his fingers and stared at the cell's door,

     "And now, we think of a plan."

———

    The red, silky curtain draped over the glass and blocked the orange lighting the setting sun would've gave off, causing the room to be dim and only lit with flickering lamps on the ceiling, some on dusty desks,  and candles.A few paintings hung up on the wall and some loosely hanging sideways. The walls weren't decorated like the rest of the castle and the paint on them was fading or scraped off in some places, showing the grey cement.

     The room was one of a kind in the palace. Servants and maids rarely to never entered the place, hence the untidiness. It was something similar to a hideout of some sort—where the villains liked to stay in their free time. Prince Veldra never stepped foot into it, claiming that it was too grubby for a royal like him.