Chapter 39: Garden of Myths

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

4:10 P.M

–Castle's garden–

     The clouds provided an alibi for the blaring sunlight, dulling the afternoon and furnishing the garden with a chill breeze. The trees quavered slowly, calmly, and unlike Cesal's heartbeat. The said boy was crouched down on the side of the pavement, leaning backwards on his arms, and staring at the beautiful garden. His shoes layed beside him along with his socks as he allowed his bare feet to brush against the slightly damp grass. He sniffled before laying down on his back as it started hurting after being in this position for a long while.

     The lengthy time has passed with him just resting in the place that brought him most comfort. He couldn't help but wish his dad was here, well and alive to guide him. His hands were now behind his head that was filled with troubled thoughts.

     Did Aria...really hate him?

     Cesal gulped, feeling tears well up in his eyes. He rubbed on his eyes furiously before any teardrops could make an appearance on his face. A quiet and airy chuckle left his lips, hands going limp over his eyes as he sighed loudly, a sound following it. Cesal removed his hands, a smile playing on his face, eyes glowing with crazy look, slightly widened as he stared into space.

     He wasn't to allow himself to cry in the place that once brought him the most happiness. It was derogatory. Cesal let his hand fall to the side, away from his face as his expression shifted. He heard a tempo of stomps far away, around the exit. He listened intensively for any signs of the person coming closer. The footsteps slowed down, and became louder, indicating nearer approach of the person. Cesal only moved his eyes upwards to look at the person, not moving his body an inch.

     "Cesal?" Slater asked as he took in the sight of the detached blue head. Looking at him skywards and underneath his eyelids, Cesal blinked slowly and got up lazily.

     "What?" Cesal said flatly.

     "Tough day?" Slater made himslef comfortable and sat on the pavement beside the silent blue head. He didn't get a response on time. Slater watched Cesal's blank look for a while before answering himslef, "Same here," He sighed and twirled the grass around his fingers.

     Cesal stayed silent, he watched the prince calm demeanor, but vague unease on his face. Slater was right beside him and it made him recall what he said earlier.

     "You know, it's a really unhealthy relationship with your underling if you lie to their face and keep away the truth. I wouldn't think twice about not lying to Cesal if I was in your place. I mean, have you seen how loyal he is? That's what I always hated about you, brother. You always take things for granted and rate others based on their efficiency to you. You never consider feelings or emotions. You're heartless."

     Even though the voice replayed on his head, it was much louder this time and the person who said that was right here. Why was Prince Veldra lying to him? Cesal felt frustrated. It was getting under his skin and traveling through his body, but never once did it make it to his brain. Maybe that's why he couldn't understand it.

     What if he was doing it for his own good? He trusted the prince, so there was no way he would be doing this to hurt him. They were a pair. Bonded. Unbreakable. Perhaps that's what Slater was trying to do. Break them apart. He was the evil one here. He's the enemy, not Veldra, so he was probably trying to mess with Cesal's mind.

     "I know that you overheard our conversation, or eavesdropped, whatever you wanna call it," Slater said after a long while of silence and Cesal didn't remove his gaze.