Chapter 35: Insentient Love

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

10:56 P.M

- Prince Veldra's Castle –

     The dual color haired boy detached the annoying contact on his shoulder, slightly irritated. The other boy's shoulders sagged, his hand dropping to his side as he stared at his brother, morose lightly covering his features.

     "How mean," The taller boy shifted a little, sighing, and walking around Veldra to face him. He tilted his head to the side a little, his dark hair falling over his icy blue eyes and casting a shadow over his eye bags. He was trying to figure out his brother's next move or saying, though it wasn't a hard task, given he knew the boy for quite a while.

     "Knock the victim act off, Slater. There must be a focal, messed up, objective of yours to be accomplished if you appear in my quarters," Veldra said coldly, finally meeting his brother's tired eyes, "Speak up. I don't like waiting."

     "I don't blame you for having that kind of thinking, but, I've only come here to see how you've been," Slater smiled. A reticent smile by dint of his partially concealed eyes. His pearly white teeth were revealed, one of the qualities in short of supply about him. The bright castle lights reflecting off them and making them twinkle a bit. 

    The gesture surely did not please the prince, "I was doing well, until you've showed up. That should be enough, shouldn't it? Now, absent yourself form my quarters or I will call the royal guards."

     Slater held up his hands defensively, mimicking surrender, "Woah, let's not go there, lil bro. I remember the last time that happened and it surely isn't my greatest of memories," He brought his arm down and lifted part of his long-sleeved shirt, showing many bruises and scratches.

     "You were warned," Veldra said darkly.

     "Yeah, can't say you're lying," Slater pulled down his sleeve and stood, hands on either side of his hips.

     Veldra watched him with cold, remote eyes, moderately squinting them to show that he did not have time. He looked his older brother up and down slowly, ignominiously, distrust all over his features as he chose to stay silent. His brother hasn't changed much since the last time he's seen him. That same messy clothing and weird sense of style. Slater had a purple t-shirt and a black long sleeved shirt underneath. He wore a choker and had three piercings in total. The earring on his left ear was huge and dangled with every slight move he made, it resembled a thick, short dagger. His face looked lightly fatigued, but he somehow, always managed to smile provokingly.

     A bandage was strapped on the bridge of his nose, a reminder of their hostile childhood and a replica of the one on Veldra's left cheek. Veldra thought the way Slater looked was ridiculous and long ago, he would've done anything to get his brother to look atleast presentable, look like a royal. However, he was past that now. His brother was older and a bigger of a disgrace and he could easily accept that, as long as the throne would be his soon and the attention snatched from Slater to him.

     Slater pulled his bangs backwards with one hand, allowing himself to smile once more and causing Veldra's brow to lift in question. Usually, in his case, the young prince would do anything in him to surpress such a cheeky smile that was of no account, but here was his elder, showing it off like he wasn't served any manners as a kid.