Chapter 33: Depraved Affection

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

8:21 P.M

- Prince Veldra's Castle -

     Cesal yelped when his head was aggressively pulled backwards by a vigorous force. The back of it collided with the wall behind him and he saw red for a moment. He struggled to keep his eyes open and face his tormentor. His scalp was burning; the cause being the tight grip on his hair. It pulled, making his face move upwards, forced to look at him.

     To look at Prince Veldra.

     "Now, Cesal. Are you going to explain to me why?"

     "There's nothing I need to give an explanation for," His words came out in a sharp whisper as he looked at the prince. His stone face was up close and he held no emotion behind his eyes. Veldra's two-toned eyes moved to the sides, delving the boy's lemony ones.

     "Agh!" The sound escaped his lips. Another wave of dulling pain travelled through his abdomen from Veldra's knee crashing into it. The prince lowered his leg and watched as Cesal struggled to keep himself up. His grip on his hair tightened and shoved his head downwards harshly, hastening his topple. His knees hit the floor and once again, it pained him. Veldra kept his hand in his hair, forcing his head downwards.

     "Don't forget your place," He hissed, "A pet always bows to his master."

     He could fight back. The Prince wasn't armed and his left hand was busy. His hands were free. He could really fight back. So, why? Why was he not fighting back?

     "You know I hate to do this, right?" Veldra said, looking down at him, "Tell me what you planned to do. Admit your mistakes, Cesal. You don't want me to lose respect for you, do you?"

     "N-No," Cesal replied. His hands clutched the fabric of his pants as he looked down at the floor. Veldra was pleased to hear him say so. He let go of his hair, finally allowing his head to be free of the firm grip.

     "Go on. Speak freely."

     "I lied to you," Cesal spoke quietly, "I helped the opposing side in a way."

     "I know that," Veldra told him.

     "It wasn't actually Jiryu Blarne who possessed powers, but Cicero Sager and I told you the contrary. I'm sorry, your highness," He said, "I really am."

     "I want a justification, Cesal. I already know what you've done and I watched you do it up until now," Veldra spoke, "Tell me why."

     "Aria," Cesal started, "She told me to."

     "Aria? Your sister?"

     Cesal nodded, his head still facing downwards, "Aria told me that she would never forgive me if I stood back and let your plan run smoothly. Telling a small lie was the least I could do to make up for being an awful brother. She said that if I brought innocent boys who've done nothing to darkness and corruption and just ruining their lives, it would mean that I supported whoever killed my parents," He explained.

     Veldra only stayed silent, urging him to continue. Silence stretched between them and seconds passed, the prince patiently waiting and not wanting to risk making the boy close up.