Chapter 50: Rekindling Connections

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

6:20 P.M

– Police Station –

     "Hey, Kou? Um, I was thinking that...maybe that wasn't a---"

     "It was a prank call," Kou looked up from his work at the coworker to and turned around, "That person claimed they were Kazuo, but that's not even possible."

     The coworker tilted his head, "But--"

     "Officer Kou!" a man barged in, panting, and bending over his knees to catch his breath, "It's--It's him--It's Kade...he's outside--"

   Kou's mouth fell agape as he watched the other officer spout some earth-shattering news. This couldn't be real. Was everyone hallucinating? That prank call happened about five hours ago, and now this?

    Kou pushed himself back on the chair and stood up, wanting to see what this was all about. He walked out the office and  Kou navigated the bustling precinct, his mind preoccupied with one thing.

     Then, a familiar voice echoed through the corridor, momentarily halting his steps. Turning the corner, he froze in his tracks, disbelief washing over him like a tidal wave. There, standing in the heart of the station, was none other than Kazuo himself.

     Kou's brows raised as he took in the sight of Kazuo casually greeting everyone in the station.

     For a moment, time seemed to stand still as Kou's gaze locked with Kazuo's. The years melted away in an instant, leaving behind a maelstrom of emotions that Kou struggled to contain. Kazuo, ever unfazed, met Kou's stunned expression with an easy smile, as if his sudden appearance was the most natural thing in the world.

    "K—Kazuo?" Kou's voice emerged as a barely audible whisper, laden with a cocktail of shock and incredulity.

    "In the flesh," Kazuo replied, his tone carrying a hint of amusement at Kou's bewilderment. "Surprised to see me?"

    Surprised? Kou felt as though the ground had shifted beneath his feet, leaving him adrift in a sea of uncertainty. "What...Where have you been?" he blurted out, the words tumbling from his lips before he could stop them.

     Kazuo's smile faltered for a moment, replaced by a flicker of something indefinable in his eyes before he spoke again, "Ah, well" he said, his voice tinged with a hint of regret, "it's a long story."

    As Kou struggled to process the whirlwind of emotions crashing over him, Kazuo approached with a calm assurance that Kou found both comforting and unnerving.

    The coworker arrived second later, standing right next to Kou with and expression mirroring his.

    With each step, the distance between them seemed to narrow, until they stood face to face, their shared history hanging in the air like an unspoken promise.

    "I never meant to cause you guys worry," Kazuo continued, his gaze sincere as he met the officer's troubled eyes. "But I'm here now. That's what matters."

   "Wow.." the coworker looked at Kazuo through his bangs, "You are so tall now," he felt like his neck was going to snap.

Kazuo nodded, "We have to get back to work," he said as began to walk towards the office.

He walked with a stoic demeanor, his dark eyes fixed ahead as the world buzzed around him. Different authorities hurried past, their faces twisted in shock and disbelief at his appearance, but Kazuo remained unmoved.