Chapter 53: The Pendant

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

12:20 P.M

– Behind the Library –

    Kazuo and Omi stood side by side, their eyes tracking Zen's restless movements as he paced back and forth. The air between them crackled with tension, each passing moment feeling heavier than the last. He had arrived around five minutes ago on his motorcycle.

    The redhead's irritation was almost palpable, his tongue poking the inside of his cheek, hands in his pockets, and brows furrowed slightly, a silent testament to the frustration simmering beneath the surface—despite his efforts to appear composed.

     Omi and Kazuo exchanged uneasy glances, silently acknowledging Zen's presence. Despite their attempts to break the silence, Zen remained detached, his silence speaking volumes.

    Kazuo shifted uncomfortably. What was this about? It felt like they were students caught cheating and now their teacher was just standing silently in front of them. But, this wasn't even like that. Him and Omi didn't do anything wrong, and certainly didn't say anything that would remotely anger Zen.

     "So," Zen finally stopped pacing and Omi almost let out a sigh of relief, "What's the deal with both of you?" he gestured to them like they were some sort of new discovery.

     "Us?" Omi asked.

     "No, me and the fucking president of China," Zen rolled his eyes.

     Kazuo glanced at Omi's shocked face before he spoke, feigning ignorance, like he had no clue what Zen was referring to, "We were just chilling," he replied casually, as if they were discussing the weather.

     Zen narrowed his eyes, clearly not convinced by Kazuo's nonchalant demeanor. "C'mon, Kade, don't play fucking dumb," he said, his tone bordering on exasperation.

     Kazuo raised an eyebrow, maintaining his facade of innocence. "I'm not playing anything, Zen," he replied, his voice calm and collected. "I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about."

     Zen sighed in frustration, clearly not buying Kazuo's act. But before he could press the issue further, Omi stepped in, attempting to divert the conversation to safer ground.

     "Why does it feel like we are being interrogated? Can Kazuo and I not hang out peacefully?"

     Zen scoffed, "Listen here, you fucker. Don't try to play dumb, because it will NOT work, alright? I don't know when this fucking friendship started, but it doesn't mean you can just keep secrets from me!" the redhead's voice rose with each word, his frustration boiling over.

     Kazuo held up a hand, his patience wearing thin. "Hey, calm down, Zen," he interjected firmly. "We're not keeping secrets from you. It's just been a hectic day, and we're all trying to process everything."

     Zen clenched his fists. "Okay. I don't want to get mad at you, so just tell me what's going on."

     "What do you want to know?"

     "Do you hate Sager?"

     Kazuo sighed, his frustration mingling with concern as he regarded Zen. "No, Zen, I don't hate Cicero," he replied honestly. "We've had our disagreements, but he's still our friend."

     Zen's expression softened slightly, his fists unclenching as he listened to Kazuo's words. "Then stop talking to him like that. I have never seen you lose your cool, but somehow, you're always yelling at him."