Ch. 43 - Turning Point

You had heard the other department heads whispering about it before. The coldness of Yoongi's stare. But you hadn't been on the receiving end of it.

Not like this.

You weren't sure what you expected from your sudden interruption. But having him pause mid-bite to glare at you was definitely not it. He held your gaze for a few seconds before lowering it back to his food.

"We'll talk about it later. I'm working."

"Yoongi--"

"Later," he replied more firmly. "Shut the door on your way back out."

You shut the door before you realized what had happened. Since when had he acted like such a boss? Since when did he think he could talk to you like that?

True to his word, he did not return your message from earlier. He did not make any attempt to contact you before you got in the car to head home at the end of the day. He kept his gaze firmly fixed on the darkening sky ahead of him as he drove.

"Are you going to tell me what crawled up your ass and died today?" you snapped.

His grip tightened on the steering wheel. "What on earth were you thinking, pulling something like that? What if I had been on the phone, or meeting with someone?"

"Then they'd know our marriage sucks." You crossed your arms. "I don't know why you're so upset, I thought you'd be happy! I have a solution to our problems. But if you don't want to talk about it--"

Yoongi turned on his hazards. "No. You want to talk?" He pulled the car to the side of the road and parked. "Let's talk. Please, tell me. What is this brilliant solution that I haven't thought of? You have my full attention.

"Choi Siwon said he'd look at our contract."

"That's it?"

"What do you mean, 'that's it'? He handles things like this all the time for his clients. If anyone can find a loophole, it's him."

"Did he tell you that?" Yoongi laughed. "Wait, of course he did! He's a lawyer, he just wants money. My money--"

"Not everything in the world is about money, Yoongi!"

"Then how did we end up like this in the first place?" he demanded. "Your parents wanted money, my parents wanted to protect theirs. That's why that damn contract exists at all!"

"If you're so worried about the money, I'll pay for it."

"Yeah? Then why tell me about it in the first place?"

You rolled your eyes. "You have to sign off on it if he looks at the contract. Since you're another party involved in it."

"Great, then that's settled. He's not looking at it."

"Why not?! Don't you want to be done with this? Working at a job you hate, married to someone you don't like, feeling like you're trapped with no way out."

Yoongi didn't answer for a minute. He slumped back in his seat, listening to the rain that had started outside.

"I can't do this with you right now."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm sick and tired of this, that's why! I'm sick of people I thought I could trust hiding things from me. First Tae, then Jin, and now you? What, is Namjoon going to be next? I'm tired of things not going my way for once in my fucking life. From now on, do whatever you damn well please but leave me out of it, do you understand? We're done talking about this."

"Fine."

You did not speak the rest of the ride home. You went upstairs and he stayed downstairs in his studio. You couldn't believe this. What was going on with him?