Ch. 29 - Wake Up Call

You woke up early that morning. The house felt a lot bigger without Yoongi's footsteps wandering around in it.

Still, you got up and got ready the same as always. Breakfast, clothes, out the door. The one difference was that you picked up Yoongi's briefcase before leaving. Jin was already parked outside.

He was unusually quiet on the drive to work. You weren't sure if it was because his mind was wandering or if he'd noticed yours was. You would have to be at the top of your game today to keep things running smoothly.

"I'll see you for lunch," Jin said.

You hesitated. You hadn't planned on leaving the office until your work was done. But one look at him told you there was no room for argument.

"Okay. Thanks."

Sun gave you a smile as you walked in.

"You're here early," you commented. 

"I got up early. Didn't have anything else to do," she explained. You gave her a wary look but decided not to comment on that. You couldn't exactly criticize her over it. If anything, it was better for you if she was here early.

When you got to your office, you shook your head in disbelief.

"Not you too."

"What?" Namjoon countered. "You've got reports to run, so I'm here to pick up the slack."

The tall man was already sitting at his desk, shuffling papers to pretend he was busy. It was obvious that he and Sun had conspired to beat you here and help you out. You had no idea how they'd done it, but it was sweet in its own way.

"Thanks."

He smirked. "Just doing our jobs."

You walked into your office and did a quick check-list. The other employees knew that Yoongi was out. His office was locked. You'd convinced one of the IT guys, Kyuhyun, to set it up so that his emails copied to your inbox and his phone rang to yours as well. 

"Don't answer right away," he'd explained to you. "Let it ring a couple of times like it had to be redirected."

"Have you done this before?"

He only offered you a sheepish shrug in return. The IT technician was nefarious for playing pranks when he was bored. That was probably one of him. You wondered whose phone he'd switched.

But that wasn't important right now. You had emails to deal with, calls to answer, and reports to run just like Namjoon had said.

You figured you'd start with the calls. You went through the messages and called back the ones you could take care of yourself. Any others, you forwarded to the right departments. You were working on your emails when there was a sharp knock on your door.

"Heechul, what can I do for you?" you asked, barely looking up from your work.

"Department leads meeting?" he prompted you. 

Shit.

"I'll be right there." As soon as you stood up, the phone rang. "Namjoon, can you--?"

"On it."

Heechul glanced at him as you walked past. "Must be nice sleeping with the boss." 

You took everything Heechul said with a grain of salt. Everyone did because only half of what he said was genuine. The other half was meant to tease and get a rise out of people. But you knew this statement came from the truth.

That's how most of the employees around here saw you. That you'd always been favored by the boss. That you got what you wanted when others were denied. Getting an actually competent assistant was just the latest in a long list.