Ch. 12 - First Fight

When you got home later that afternoon, Yoongi was nowhere to be found. You'd already dismissed Jin for the day, knowing your husband hadn't planned to go out tonight.

You went up to your room and put away some of your new clothes. When you shut your armoire door, Yoongi was on the other side of it.

"Geez, do I need to put a bell on you?" you exclaimed, trying to calm down from the sudden sight of him. "Where did you even come from?"

"I was downstairs. But I wanted to talk to you." You nodded for him to continue. "Do you know about this dinner party in a few weeks?"

"Yeah, my parents mentioned it."

"Then you know they want to have it here?"

You raised your eyebrows. "No. They didn't want to rent out a restaurant or something?"

"Guess not, but since they're in charge, it's going to be this whole affair. So I think we need to sleep together."

"Excuse me?"

"Literally sleep together, not having sex or anything," he assured you. "We need to act more like a married couple."

"And you think that's the solution? Just sleep together, and that will solve everything?"

"That's not what I'm saying--"

"Good because that's ridiculous."

"Can you let me talk for once?"

"You're joking!" you scoffed. "All I do is let you talk. Or did you forget how you want to argue with me about everything?"

"Me? You're the one that always wants to make a fuss."

"And I have every right to do that! I'm not sleeping with you."

He narrowed his eyes. "Why not?"

"Because you're a stranger!" you exclaimed. "I don't know anything about you except that we don't get along. We've been married for almost a month and we spend more time apart than we do together. Even now, you're only trying to act like a husband because you have to."

"I do not--"

"Give me one example of when you've been nice to me because you wanted to be." He chuckled dryly.

"You think you're so smart, you don't have any examples either."

"I got Jimin off your back for you."

"That wasn't to be nice, that was to prove you're better than me."

You crossed your arms. "I don't have to prove that."

"Apparently, you do. That's all you've been doing since the honeymoon. You charmed all my friends immediately--"

"Because I'm nice!"

"Funny, because I'm still waiting for that example of yours!" he exclaimed. "You always want to prove you're better than me, it's so annoying."

"Everything's always about you, isn't it? Can't take anything seriously--"

"I'll have you know I take things very seriously. But why should I waste my time when I didn't sign up for this?"

"And you think I did? You think I wanted to give up my life to marry someone I don't know? You think I like watching you sit in that office all day, bull-shitting your way through everything because you don't care enough to try to learn about what you're doing?"

"I get that you're more qualified! You don't have to rub it in my face like that." 

"Then do your job!"

"Why don't you?!"

You stepped back. "What?"

"You think you can do a better job? You want my job that bad? Then take it! What's stopping you?"

"Real funny, Yoongi." You sat down on the bed, avoiding his gaze. 

He hesitated. "What did I say?"

"Didn't you read the contract you signed? You know I can't take your job."

"There was nothing in there about you."

"What?"

"There was nothing in there about you," he repeated more firmly. "It just said that by marrying you, I was agreeing to take over as the director of (L/N) Enterprises."

"That doesn't make sense. Your parents must have withheld my clause from you."

"You had a clause?"

You nodded. "As long as we're married, you're the director. If I violate the contract by trying to take the position or leaving you, I'll get fired and lose my rights to the company."

"What kind of clause is that? Your parents should let you be in charge."

"My dad's old-fashioned," you explained quietly. "I've been working there for years, and that's only because my mom made him get me a job so I'd stop asking. I've been slowly climbing up the ladder and trying to prove to him that I have what it takes. But he always wanted a son to take over, and now he has you for that."

Yoongi turned this over in his head for a few moments in silence. "I thought you and your family just wanted money." 

"What?"

"My family wanted me out of the house, settled down with a bright future. They'd pay anyone top dollar to make that happen. I figured they'd finally succeeded." 

He sat down next to you on the bed with a sigh. "Did you know about my clause too?" 

"If you violate the contract, you lose your inheritance, right?"

"That's right," he admitted. "But there's more. If I don't keep things afloat, I'll lose the inheritance anyway. And right now, I'm barely treading water myself. There's no way I can handle it."

"Why did they want you to settle down so bad?"

"Easy. They don't want me to follow my own dreams. They figured marriage and work would distract me enough to make me give up on what I wanted."

"What's your dream?" you asked after a moment.

He turned to you. "Do you swear not to get mad if I tell you?"

"Yoongi--"

"You have to swear." 

"All right, I swear."

He slowly stood up, heading back into the hallway. He turned and nodded his head at you, telling you to follow him. You did, watching him descend the stairs in front of you before crossing the room to the storage closet.

He threw open the door, pulling back so that you could walk inside. You looked around in awe.

This was not a storage closet. This was a full office, with a large desk and three different computer screens along with several pieces of equipment set up.

"You said we couldn't get in here."

"I lied." You turned to look at him and he sighed. "I want to write my own music, and I've been fighting my parents for years on this, okay? This is my dream, and I didn't want some stranger to take it from me, especially when I'm getting so close."

He met your gaze again and this time, you saw something you'd never seen before swimming in his eyes. Passion and desperation.

"All right," you said finally. 

"That's all you have to say?"

"Oh, sorry. What do you want for dinner?"

He frowned. "You're not going to make a big deal out of this?"

"Don't get me wrong," you replied. "We're definitely not sleeping together now that I know you were lying to me. But I understand it."

"Come on--"

"Prove I can trust you and I'll change my mind. Now, are you hungry or not?"

Yoongi shook his head with a sigh as he followed you into the kitchen. You really were something else.