Ch. 23 - Charity Ball

You hadn't been sure what to expect from the Mins' charity ball. It was more of an auction to raise money for their cause but Mrs. Min apparently wanted to call it a ball anyway.

"It seems more dramatic," was Yoongi's explanation.

And dramatic was definitely the right word.

The two of you entered at the top of a grand staircase, which led into a large ballroom full of cloth-covered tables and about a hundred people milling about in suits and flowing dresses. There were seven large chandeliers strung on the ceiling, lights draping in between each of them. To one side of the room, you could make out a string quartet playing soft mood music. At least, you assumed so. It was hard to hear over the noise of so many people walking and talking to one another.

Before you could look at anything else, Yoongi was starting down the staircase.

Once you got to the base of the stairs, he offered you his arm. You cautiously took it.

"Relax. We're supposed to be having fun tonight," he said softly. "You look lovely, by the way."

You glanced side long at him. It wasn't that you didn't believe him...

It was true that Ailee had helped you pick out the long, cold-shoulder black dress and had given you some tips on how to do your hair and makeup with it. You did look like someone worthy to be married to a Min in your opinion.

But for the past week after meeting with Jin and Ailee, he had been nicer to you.

At least, when you saw him. He still spent a lot of time in his studio when you got home. He had toned it down somewhat and he was still feeding and taking care of himself when he emerged.

You weren't sure what had sparked the sudden attitude change. And although you were grateful for it, you were a little suspicious of it.

Before you could linger too much on it, you had come face to face with his parents.

"Don't you look pretty tonight," Mrs. Min said. You smiled and thanked her, knowing full well the wine glass in her hand was probably bringing those words bubbling to the surface.

"The event is going swimmingly," Yoongi's father offered by way of conversation. "I think it might be our best one yet."

After a few more minutes of dry topics, Yoongi pulled you away to talk to some other people. It wasn't long before you were stopped by several of the Mins' associates.

They all wanted to know you. See what made you worthy of the only son to their fortune. Were you as wealthy as them? Did you have your head on straight? What were you working towards yourself?

You explained your position several times. Talked about how grateful you were to the Mins for welcoming you into their lives. Toned down your involvement in the company when necessary. And all with a charming smile on your face.

By the time you'd made it halfway through the room, you had talked to nearly two dozen people about all these topics. 

"You're doing really well," Yoongi commented. "Making them like you." 

You chuckled. "It's the same as customer service. Tell them what they want to hear. Assure them that they're right and make them believe you'll meet their expectations."

"Guess I never realized."

And it was true. Yoongi had never thought much about what you actually did. How you got so good to climb the ladder and get to your current position. 

You felt a tap on your shoulder and you plastered the smile back on again. But when you saw who it was, your smile widened.

"Jungkook!"