Ch. 56 - Flipping the Script

Despite his personality, it should be known that Park Jimin knew how to plan a funeral service. It was your understanding that he'd taken on most of the arrangements himself since his father's passing. The wake was held in one of the largest funeral homes in town.

The casket was closed, but you offered condolences to both Mrs. Park and Jimin. They thanked you and Yoongi for coming. Jimin also hugged Yoongi and whispered something to him. He didn't look happy about whatever was said, but he moved through the line just the same.

"What was that?" you asked when you were far enough away.

"Take a look for yourself." He gestured toward the corner of the room where two very familiar people were standing.

"Why are your parents here?"

"Jimin invited them as an olive branch or whatever."

Yoongi hadn't spoken to his parents since returning from the wedding. And while you were all for not dealing with their drama, it did make you a little sad to see a family so openly ignoring each other.

That thought was quickly interrupted as you saw Hoseok walk by. You called out to him and he made a beeline for you.

"I didn't know you'd be here," you said.

"I wasn't originally going to come, but Sooyun wanted me to."

"Sooyun?" Yoongi frowned.

"Jimin's mom," he clarified quickly. "I had dinner with them a couple of nights ago. Or, technically I made dinner and took it to them to eat. They seemed to enjoy it."

"Since when can you cook?"

"Since always, but you only want to eat Jin's cooking," Hoseok retorted.

"Besides, Hoseok isn't trying to date you," you added.

Hoseok scratched the back of his head. "I was just trying to do something nice. I wouldn't...I mean this isn't the time..."

"I was only teasing, Hobi. Besides, Jimin would be lucky to find someone like you."

He smiled in spite of himself. 

Not long after the wake, the actual service was held. Before the casket was lowered into the ground, Jimin's mother made a speech in honor of her departed husband. It was fairly short, but she remained composed even when her words brought others in the crowd to tears. Yoongi was astounded at how different this woman was to the one he'd repeatedly seen in the hospital being cared for by her son. 

After the service, the guests were invited back inside to have food and refreshments at their leisure. You were speaking to your parents, so Yoongi decided it was a good time to talk to Jimin.

"Look, I don't mean to be unsympathetic--"

Jimin held up a hand to stop him. "I told you that you could ask me for help. Right now is fine, just tell me what you need."

"We need shareholders to back our decision to put someone else in the director of operations chair. And with your father gone, we could use your vote."

"I'm sorry, but all of his shares actually went to my mom, not me."

"What?"

"Apparently, he figured that I would be too busy running my own company by the time he died to bother holding shares in any other businesses. All of them went to my mother instead, so if it's a shareholder you need, you'll have to ask her."

Well, that definitely put a wrench in your plans. If Mrs. Park was the shareholder, you'd probably need to explain the whole situation of why you were changing the position. And then make sure that whoever did get that seat whenever you found someone to take it was going to meet her approval.