Ch. 57 - King or Boss

Yoongi could hear it. The steady footsteps of someone getting closer to him. Descending the steps towards the courtyard where he was kneeling.

He couldn't see because of the blindfold but he could tell it was dark. Far too dark for a leisurely stroll.

"If you've come to watch me beg for my life, you're going to be disappointed," he said. 

The footsteps stopped. Instead, he heard the cold drag of metal as it was removed from a scabbard. A second later, something cold was pressed against the side of his neck. 

"Silence," a nearby voice commanded.

Yoongi chuckled. He had ropes tied around his upper arms and wrists so he couldn't defend himself. But he wasn't afraid of the weapon.

"Or what?" he countered.

"Or you lose your tongue completely."

"If I lose my head anyway, that won't be a big deal. That's why you came out here, right?"

"No." The sword moved and the ropes were sliced away. "I came here to give you a chance." Something fell to the ground in front of him.

"Chance for what?" Yoongi asked.

But there was no response. He heard footsteps again. The king was leaving him out here?

"Chance for what?" he demanded again as he tore the blindfold from his eyes. The fires flickering around him nearly blinded him for a second, but he could make out a figure ascending the steps just a few yards ahead of him. He had long blond hair and dark robes. 

Lying in front of him was a gun. He reached down and picked it up.

Are you going to be a king? Or a boss?

The voice was unfamiliar to him, but his body began to move on his own.

He stood up, aiming the shot.

And then he pulled the trigger.

"Yoongi?" 

Yoongi nearly fell out of his chair. "What happened? Who--?"

"You zoned out. Everything okay, boss?"

He glanced around his surroundings, confused for a moment about where he was. "Yeah, sorry. What were we talking about?"

"The new guy in sales, Mingi," Jackson replied. "Thanks again for letting me hire him. He's really earning his keep."

"Good. I doubt we'll have any problems from your department in the future."

"Not if I can help it, boss." He stood up. "I'll let you get back to your work." 

Yoongi frowned. "Hey, Jackson."

"Hmm?"

"If you could be a king or a boss, which would you want to be?"

"King, obviously. King Jackson has a nice ring to it," he replied with a small smirk. "Why?"

"No reason. Just a thought."

Jackson took that as his cue to leave, wondering if Yoongi had perhaps been hanging out too often with Namjoon.

Yoongi sat there for several minutes after that, aimlessly typing and clicking on his computer to make it feel like he was working.

In actuality, he was just waiting for the day to be over so that he could go home and work on his music. He'd felt both nervous and inspired ever since receiving that call from Taehyung's agent and he wanted to make sure that he really showed his skills this time around.