Ch. 5 - Wedding Gift

Yoongi scowled as he heard Taehyung rhythmically knock on his door. Maybe if he ignored it, he'd actually go away. It had never worked before, but he could pretend.

But as the minutes ticked by, Tae continued to knock on the door and call for him to let him in. He ripped the headphones off his head and strode to the door, opening it a crack.

Taehyung stepped back as the door suddenly opened, revealing his friend's face.

"I'm working," Yoongi snarled.

"I know, work, work, work. Why do you think I'm here?" 

"Because you think it's fun to mess with me?"

Taehyung gasped dramatically and put his hand over his chest. "That hurts. I can return my gift if that's the way you feel."

"Fine, we don't need another set of pots or something."

"Then I guess you won't be getting a deal."

"What deal?"

Taehyung smirked, reaching into his blazer pocket and pulling out a card. "See for yourself."

Yoongi took the card and shut the door. Taehyung waited several seconds before he opened it again.

"Is this legit?" he asked.

"I told you I was missing the wedding for a good reason."

Yoongi glanced down at the card again. It was a business card for an international recording studio. A big one. People from this studio were legends in the music industry. Almost every one of them had gone on to find ridiculous success.

And it wasn't just any employee's card. It was for the head talent agent at the studio. A Lee Hansol.

"I played him some of your stuff. He wants to set up a meeting."

"What? I can't--"

"I told him about your situation," Taehyung said, cutting him off. "He's willing to wait until things settle down if you can impress him with something new. If he likes what he hears, he'll meet with you."

"Tae, this is huge."

"I know! So you'll quit being grumpy and let me stay the night?"

"After what you pulled in there, I might kick you out to the guest house."

"We were only talking, Yoongi."

He scoffed. "Yeah. Talking, cooking together. Wearing your clothes. Sneaking around in my family's vacation home like a couple of lovebirds."

"Come on. It wasn't like that."

"Do you want to eat outside?"

Tae glanced up in surprise. "Outside?"

"On the balcony. Yoongi's still sleeping, it might be too loud if we stay in here."

"You've seen how grumpy he is in the morning, huh?"

"Something like that."

Tae smirked. "Sure. Lead the way." 

You set up everything on the small table on the balcony outside your room. It was cozy, a good size for two people. You ate in silence for a few minutes before speaking up.

"So, how do you know Yoongi?"

"Old school friends. It broke my heart that I couldn't be there for his special day. I never thought he'd actually tie the knot with someone." He smiled. "You must really be something for his parents to approve."

"I don't know about that," you responded. "They've hardly spoken to me since we met."

"Don't let that bother you. I've known Yoongi since we were teenagers and they still don't recognize me sometimes. I just remind them I was the one running half-naked around here with their son during the summer." He chuckled, sipping on his coffee. "That always does the trick."

You smiled in spite of yourself. "Really?"

"Oh, yeah. I've got all the stories."

"--And then Hoseok stole all the shrimp!"

"You're kidding!"

"You should have seen Jin's face when we got into the car, we were running like we'd committed an actual crime."

"Those charity parties sound awful."

"Better get used to it. You'll be going to a lot of them soon once you get back."

"Yeah, don't remind me." You suddenly shivered as the breeze picked up. Taehyung immediately pulled his blazer off.

"Here, put this on."

"Thanks."

"Can't have my friend's wife catching a cold on my watch."

You pulled the jacket tighter around your shoulders. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yes, I'd love seconds," he said as he pushed his plate towards you.

"What? No," you chuckled. "You said before you thought he'd never tie the knot. Why's that?"

Taehyung shrugged. "He just never seemed like the type. He's very independent. Likes doing things on his own. Making his own decisions. His parents always used to get mad at him for rebelling against them and he'd say that as soon as he could make his own way, he'd get out from under their overbearing grasp."

"His parents are like that too, huh?" you mused quietly. You stood up and made your way to look over the balcony.

"Yeah, but he's used to it. He doesn't do anything they say without a good reason."

Taehyung followed your lead, settling his back against the balcony. "But hey, it's not all bad. You get a view like this out here in the middle of nature. I'm sure he'll perk up soon."

"I hope you're right."

He leaned down closer to you. "If he doesn't, just let me know. I'll throw him in that tree over there."

You laughed, about to respond when Taehyung suddenly pushed himself off the balcony. "There you are!"

And there he was. Your fake husband in all his glory. Hair still mussed from sleep, staring between the two of you with a frown on his face. 

"I meant what I said earlier, your parents chose well," Taehyung said. 

Yoongi rolled his eyes. "Stop saying that. They couldn't care less about who I married as long as they got a profit from it. Besides, you've only known for her for a few hours. I think I'd know better than you and we're not a good match."

"Not if you're going to be like that. She's your wife, right? Try being nicer to her and you might be surprised."

"You sound like Jin."

"Good, someone else can back me up on this."

"I can't make any promises. But I'll try."

"That's all I wanted to hear. Now, if you'll excuse me--"

"You better not be going to flirt some more."

Taehyung turned around and smiled. "I was going to find your other guest rooms, actually. She took the one I usually use...but if I ask nicely, do you think she'll let me join--?"

"Finish that sentence and I'll kill you."

"See, I knew you cared a little." He quickly dodged as Yoongi threw a pillow in his direction. "I'll see you at dinner!"

Another pillow narrowly missed him, bouncing off the door instead. Yoongi turned back to his computer, twirling the business card between his fingers.

Maybe things were finally about to start going his way.