Ch. 8 - Hard Work

Yoongi was not going to take this lying down. He'd already secretly pulled your father's number from Jin's emergency information when the driver was distracted.

He was on the way to the elevator when he decided he'd call. Maybe he'd get lucky and interrupt your lunch.

You were actually about to leave Yoongi's office when your phone started ringing. You dismissed the IT guy and took a deep breath before picking up. There was only one reason he'd be calling you now.

"Hello?"

"Are you at work?" your father asked immediately.

"Of course--"

"Really? Are you sure that you didn't mistake it for a playground?"

You should've figured this would happen. "Did Yoongi call you?"

"Yes, he did. What were you thinking, pulling a stunt like that?"

"But he--"

"'But' nothing. Do you make excuses to our clients when they call your department?"

"No," you muttered. 

"Then don't make them to me, either. Frankly, there's no excuse for that. He's your husband now, so you treat that boy respectfully or I'll show up and dismiss you myself in front of everyone. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. You'd better get your attitude in check before the shareholder's meeting. And if I hear of you trying anything like this again, I'll violate our contract myself and you'll get nothing."

He hung up before you could respond.

You walked over to the desk, checking over the instructions that the IT guy had left. You opened one of the drawers and pulled out the extension list with a sigh, placing that on the desk too.

"What are you doing?" Yoongi asked.

You rolled your eyes. "Making sure that you can actually work."

"Why?"

"Short answer? A lot of things have gone to shit since no one was really watching the office for the past few weeks with the wedding and all. You need to catch up as quickly as possible to take on that responsibility."

"Wait, but I--"

"Want to work, right? That's why you called my father to tell on me like an eight-year-old? Well, here's your chance. And here are your keys."

He narrowly caught the metal key ring you tossed to him. "If you need anything else, talk to Namjoon. He seems to have a pretty good understanding of how things work already. Almost like he read the manual that he received."

And with that, you were heading back to your own department.  

He hesitantly sat down in his chair, letting the computer boot up. The IT guy had given him the wi-fi password, his email password, and a rundown of all the extra bells and whistles connected to the computer. This included a phone headset, his printer connection, and an automatic call button to the front desk.

Yoongi pressed that immediately.

"Hello?" Namjoon answered.

"Joon, it's me! Looks like I got the last laugh today. I'm all set up in my office."

".....I'm not sure that's a good thing."

"Why not?" He suddenly flinched as his phone started ringing. "Oh hold on, I have a call."

"Just call me back. You might be a while," Joon suggested before cutting off his own call.

Yoongi shrugged, picking up the receiver. 

"Hello?"

"Yes, are you this new director that's supposed to be in charge?"

"Yes?"

"Well, I've been trying to get in touch with you all morning but I kept getting back to reception. My orders were supposed to be here last week. Usually someone at your company sends some kind of warning when this happens--"

"Sir, I'm sorry. I don't think you should be talking to me about this."

"Are you Min Yoongi or not?"

"Well, yes--"

"Then explain to me what's happening with my shipments. You're the one running this company, you must know something."

And that was when it hit Yoong like a ton of bricks. This was actually happening. He was in charge. And he had no idea what he was doing.

He spent the rest of the afternoon reading emails and not responding. Talking calls but fumbling through bullshit solutions. Walking by meeting rooms where someone would poke their head out and say they'd been waiting for him to start it.

By the time the end of the day rolled around, he almost cried tears of joy. But he restrained himself so that he'd be presentable when he met you in the parking lot.

You shot him a half-wave before hopping in your own car to leave. Yoongi gaped at you as you drove off before climbing into the car with Jin.

"Did you know she drove herself here?"

"Her car was gone when I got there this morning," Jin reminded him. Yoongi grumbled something under his breath.

Jin just put the car into gear and drove. Truth be told, he was a bit upset that you'd gone off without him. He thought you'd been warming up to him over the past couple of weeks. But it was obvious that you liked being independent and weren't used to having a personal driver yet. 

"I want skewers," Yoongi spoke up suddenly.

"Should I call (Y/N)?"

"No. I just want to eat so that I can pass out when I get home. She can eat whatever she wants."

"All right."

Jin had been looking forward to prodding Yoongi a little more about his first day at work. If he got in any more time-outs or had anything interesting to do. But it was obvious from his tone that he was not in the mood.

By the time they made it back, you had retired to your room. It was the only light on in the house. Except for the foyer light.

"Try to wake up on time tomorrow," Jin called cheerfully. Yoongi waved a hand in acknowledgment as he unlocked the door.

He ate in silence. He took a shower in the downstairs bathroom and dried off. He made sure to set an alarm on his phone.

The last thing he did before he went to sleep was to make sure to set his bag by the door so he wouldn't forget it. 

You realized as soon as you got home that you'd completely neglected Jin's services. You hoped he wouldn't be too mad at you for it. You made a simple dinner and ate alone.

When you were done, you turned off all the lights except for the one in the foyer. You didn't want Yoongi tripping whenever he did manage to make it home.

After changing into your pajamas, you finally opened some of your social media accounts. You'd missed numerous posts from friends and family tagging you about the wedding. You scrolled through the pictures, wondering how they could possibly think this was real.

How could your own co-workers?

Then again, you weren't close enough with them. The only reason they cared now was because they thought you'd been lying to them about your social life. They had never tried taking an interest in your life before, but now that Yoongi was in charge and obviously making some changes, it wouldn't hurt them to get on your good side now, would it?

You snapped out of it when you heard the downstairs shower running. You turned your light off and settled down to try and sleep before Yoongi could come to talk to you. Not that you expected him to, but...after that talking to you got earlier you were not in the mood.

Being married was hard work. Much harder than you'd originally thought.