Ch. 24 - Divides

"First things first," Yoongi said as he turned to face you. "Did you talk to Park?"

You merely stared at him.

"What?"

"You need to calm down first. And tell me what got you so upset that we had to leave."

Yoongi scoffed. "Don't act like we missed out on something. I handed my father a check before we even set foot in there."

"Yoongi."

The two of you glared at each other until he finally sighed, sinking down into the couch at the same time. "Park was there. Saying all kinds of things, and I got angry. Happy?"

"What did he say?"

"That I weaseled my way into your family. That I don't deserve to be in charge of your business. Acting like it should be him instead."

"Our families always used to joke about that. He took it more seriously than I did."

"A lot more seriously," Yoongi added. "Apparently, there was another candidate to be your husband before me."

"What?"

"Your parents kept that from you too?"

But you weren't listening. You were already racing up the stairs, dialing your phone.

"Mom? Get Dad on the phone. Now."

Yoongi waited for about twenty minutes before following you. He couldn't really make out a lot of what you were saying through the locked bedroom door. There was a lot of angry whispering on your part. Not that he blamed you.

After leaving the ball, he'd called his mother to see what Jimin was doing there in the first place. Thankfully, no one had seen him punch the other man and he was so quick to leave no one would notice unless Jimin himself said something. And that wasn't likely to happen. 

She'd been quick to inform her son that it was meant to be an olive branch of sorts. A way to invite the Parks into their lives and let them know that they bore them no ill will for the way things had turned out.

Which only served to make Yoongi more confused.

"You weren't the only one being considered, you know."

His mother was drunk. The fact that she was even talking about this was proof of that. But she would never make up anything as ridiculous as this.

"It could have been Jimin?"

"I want to know why you never said a word about this to me!" you exclaimed. "Being married off to one stranger is bad enough but to find out that you practically auctioned me off to the highest bidder?! It's insulting."

"Now, sweetheart," your mother replied. "It wasn't just about the money. It was about stability. Who we saw you living your best life with."

"That doesn't make sense. I grew up with Jimin. You know him. If it wasn't about money, what made you choose someone else?"

Your father scoffed. "Jimin's too soft."

"Well, think about it, Yoongi. The Parks have a similar business and they've known the (L/N) family for ages. They're shareholders in the company just like us. Why wouldn't they choose him?"

"You offered more money, didn't you?"

"Of course we did! But we also offered something else that the Parks couldn't. Security."

"Security? What does that mean?"

"You've seen how the Parks run their business. It's chaos, and he just sits back and lets it happen! There was no way I was letting him take over my company."