Ch. 44 - Decisions

"Thanks for sticking around through the storm," you told Hoseok as you stirred the straw around your drink.

"No problem. I probably needed the break, to be honest with you."

You smiled. "Never hurts to take one now and then."

"I know, I know." Hoseok took another bite of his fluffy cloud pancake. "So, what's going on with you two now?"

"There's this lawyer who said he'd take a look at the contract for us. But Yoongi acts like he doesn't even want to break it anymore." You took a sip of your drink. "I don't know what the problem is."

"Maybe he likes you."

"All right. And?"

"Maybe he doesn't want to."

"He can like me and want to divorce me. It doesn't have to be one or the other."

Hoseok hummed in thought. "Usually, that would be true. But the two of you getting a divorce has higher stakes. He could lose all of his money and inheritance. You could lose your company for good."

"I know."

"So if he likes you, do you think he'd want to risk that for both of you?"

You sighed. "I thought he would for the chance at freedom. To actually do what he wants to do. Go wherever he wants to go. Date whoever he wants to date. Just...be free for once."

"Maybe he's gotten used to his life now."

That was a fair point. One you had already considered before your aimless driving adventure. But if it really was just convenience, he shouldn't have reacted so harshly to the suggestion. Which meant there must be another reason.

One that you weren't sure of yet.

You had left the house about an hour ago to try and distract yourself. You had originally been driving around aimlessly but happened to end up around Hoseok's studio was when he was closing up for the day. The rain started coming down soon after that and you both decided to take shelter and talk for a bit.

"Have you started using Kook's app yet?" Hoseok asked.

You shook your head. 

"I thought I'd get it as a courtesy, but it's actually helping me out. I need to work out my upper body more to stay in better shape. And I follow a pretty strict diet already, so I can actually afford to treat myself a little more."

"I could have told you that, Hoseok."

"But this tells me in all these charts and statistics. It says I exercise more than 70% of its users."

"Only 70 perfect?" you repeated. "Either you're slacking or all of Jungkook's gym buddies must be on there too."

He chuckled. "Probably both. But my resting heart rate is really low, so at least I'm reaping some benefit from it. You might learn something about yourself if you get it too."

"I'll think about it." You fiddled with the straw of your drink. "How are those new recruits doing?"

"Good! One of them is actually going to perform in our showcase. You and Yoongi are still coming to that, right?"

You nodded. "As far as I know. Did you invite Jimin?"

"Yeah. He seemed like he wanted to go, but his schedule is kind of hectic right now. Long hours and everything." Hoseok pushed his leftover pancakes around. "It really isn't my business, but I don't see why you don't want to work for him instead. His work is similar, and so are the hours."

You couldn't help but laugh at his joke. "It wouldn't feel right to leave. I've worked hard to get where I am in my own company. If I want to take over, then I have to stick around and keep up that ethic. Or maybe that's just my pride talking."

"Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a little pride in your work. You're talking to an expert."

"Sometimes...I do want to leave. But I don't want to waste all the hard work I've put in just to go learn an entirely new culture, new team, new workflow. What if I can't make it anywhere else?"

"That's ridiculous."

You glanced up at Hoseok in surprise, but he was focused on something behind you. You turned slightly in your seat. 

"Yoongi?"

He was breathing heavily, clothes and hair still damp from the rain outside. 

"What are you doing?" you asked. 

"I came to apologize. I had no right to yell at you like I did."

Hoseok quickly climbed out of the booth to allow Yoongi to sit down with you. He muttered something about paying and walked off. Yoongi slid into the booth and leaned forward.

"The truth is, I've been worried about the same thing."

"What?"

"I make music because I want to inspire people. That hasn't changed. But I've been so afraid of trying again and seeing if I was able to make it in the industry that I shut down. I didn't want to get rejected again and thought it'd be easier to just live this fake life. But I don't want to keep doing that. Let's break our contract."

"Really?"

He nodded. "You can make it wherever you want. And so can I. So let's prove it."

"Thank you, Yoongi."

Without thinking, you leaned across the table and hugged him. 

And then you immediately recoiled because he was still wet from the rain.

He smiled sheepishly. "Sorry."

"Where's your jacket?" you asked.

"I left it somewhere."

"I think there's a spare one in my car. Come on."

"We're leaving?"

You shot him a look. "I'm not taking care of you if you get sick, so yes. We're leaving. I just have to pay and say good-bye to Hoseok."

But when you went to the counter to pay, the waitress told you that someone had already paid for your drink.

"Hoseok," you grumbled as you walked outside. "I told you that you didn't have to pay."

He shrugged. "Too late to change it now. Get home safe, okay? Both of you," he added as Yoongi appeared behind you. 

"Thanks, man. See you soon."

The three of you parted ways. You pulled your keys out of your pocket and glanced at Yoongi.

"Did you drive?"

"Yeah, but I can leave the car here for now. Didn't trust a cab in this weather."

"Don't blame you there," you sighed as you opened the door and climbed in. "How'd you find me, anyway?"

He followed suit, buckling his seat belt. "If Hoseok ever gets kidnapped, his Instagram will lead the detectives right to him."

"Fair enough."

The two of you drove for a bit in silence. You stopped at a red light and looked at him. "There's no guarantee that the contract reading will work."

"I know." He shrugged. "But we might as well try. If nothing comes up, we can figure something else out. We said we'd try to stick together, right?"

You nodded.

"Then that's what we'll do. I trust you on this." He looked out the window. "But if we end up stuck together, you'll hear me say 'I told you so' for the rest of your life."

"I'd expect nothing less."