Ch. 26 - Visits

"I think that's everything," Jackson said. Yoongi could barely resist the urge to sigh in relief. The sales lead had held him hostage for the past twenty minutes wanting to go over every minor detail of what had changed in the department during his absence for the past few weeks.

Jackson started gathering his things. Yoongi relaxed in his chair, feeling the large, unruly presence, both literally and figuratively, starting to leave his office.

And then he paused.

"You know, we go out drinking to celebrate the month's end. It'll be in a couple of weeks if you want to join."

He glanced up in surprise.

"Me? Wouldn't that be...?"

He wasn't sure what to say. Having a boss celebrate with the other workers? It wasn't awkward? Uncomfortable? Weird?

"Nonsense. The more the merrier," Jackson exclaimed. "Besides, we have a lot to celebrate! All these new hires are really helping us out. Which reminds me...I have to go invite Namjoon."

And with that, he was finally gone. Yoongi breathed a sigh of relief.

You'd told him about Jackson before. But you'd somehow failed to mention how incredibly talkative and persistent he was. He'd managed to hold off on this meeting for a week before the manager had just barged in and decided they were going to have it right then.

The only reason you hadn't been involved in the meeting yourself was that Taehyung had come back to town and insisted on going out for lunch. To try and decide whether he was going to commit to being a client.

He was rifling through some paperwork when his phone rang.

"Min," he answered, knowing full well that it was the front desk. 

"Um, Mr. Min?" Sun's voice replied. "There's a man here to see you."

"A man?" he repeated. He didn't have any meetings scheduled today. "Did you get his name?"

"I-I tried to ask for one but he said I should know who he was...and then he said something about workers these days having no respect. I tried to call your emergency number because I thought you were out for lunch but the man slipped onto the elevator somehow and I--" Sun tended to ramble on when she got nervous. 

"Sun, hey. Don't worry about it. I'm sure I just forgot about a meeting," Yoongi said slowly. "Why don't you take a ten?"

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

"Okay. Thank you." She sounded a bit calmer already. He smiled as he hung up with her, already making his way to the door that Jackson had closed behind him earlier.

He swung it open, eyes immediately landing on the person in question as he approached.

"Mr. (L/N). What can I do for you?"

"Yoongi, my boy. I came to see you."

"To see me?" he repeated. "Why?"

"Let's talk in private."

And without waiting for a reply, he quickly made his way into the office and shut the door again. Yoongi tried to hold his tongue at the way he was calling the shots. This was his old office, after all.

"I assume you know why I'm here?"

The younger man sat down behind his desk once more. "Not a clue."

"To put it quite simply, our daughter is ignoring us."

"I'm not getting involved with that."

His father in law waved a dismissive hand. "Of course not. I just want to make sure that you and I have an understanding about why exactly you were chosen to marry my daughter."

And Yoongi found himself wishing Jackson would come barging back in.

"She's a good kid. And she's a hard worker. But she doesn't have the heart to make it in the corporate world. You have to make tough decisions when you're sitting behind that desk. You have to handle the day-to-day and look at the bigger picture all at once. She won't be able to handle the pressure."

"Did you ever give her the chance?"

"No," he replied firmly. "It's better to give it to someone else. I've seen what she's like when something doesn't go her way. She shuts down. She ignores those around her, keeps them at arm's length when all they want to do..." He sighed heavily. "I'm not asking you to get involved in our personal lives. But the business? That's on you. And aside from a few minor details, you seem to be running a smooth operation so far."

"Thank you," Yoongi managed.

"Of course. I hope you'll take think about that going forward. This really was the best decision for everyone."

"It was nice of you to drop by. I hope you'll be a little nicer to my receptionist on your way out."

"As long as she knows who I am next time, we shouldn't have any problems."

It was a good ten minutes before Yoongi moved from his chair. And only then, it was to go to the bathroom.

When he emerged, he decided to take a walk around. He looked around a few of the conference rooms, which were empty today. One of the few empty days on the schedule, actually.

He turned towards the elevators but changed his mind at the last minute. He needed to think without being jarred at every floor. So he made his way to the stairs instead and went down.

The mood on the fourth floor had changed since Jackson had returned from his vacation. It seemed that the two departments were in some kind of friendly competition. Anyone still left in the office was typing furiously and making calls to potential clients. Jackson himself was there now, his booming laughter echoing around the floor. 

The third floor was just as noisy. Half of the IT department was currently there, although it seemed they were on their breaks. Yoongi could make out the head of HR instructing another employee on the electronic filing system and how to fix a mistake he'd made. Most of the others were working on paperwork. Customer Support was unusually quiet right now, but that was because you and Namjoon were both out. Even above the sound of typing and phone calls, you could usually hear Namjoon stumbling around trying not to break anything.

And then the second floor was full of noise as usual, workers calling out to one another as they bustled from here to there. Checking and rechecking orders, adding them to shipments going downstairs to the warehouse. A few minutes of that was enough to start giving Yoongi a headache. He couldn't imagine being here all day.

Finally, he reached the first floor. Sun was back at her post, and she'd now been joined by Namjoon. The taller man was leaning against the desk, engaging in small talk with her. Despite moving upstairs, he could usually be found here doing just that. But she seemed to be in much better spirits than before, and as long as Namjoon got his work done, who was he to complain?

Your father really thought that Yoongi was the one responsible for the company's success? Sure, he may have brought a few new people onto the staff, but that wasn't changing much. If there was anyone responsible for the way the company was being run, then he knew exactly who it was.

"Hey," your voice cut through his thoughts. "What are you  doing down here?"

"Stretching my legs. I needed some air."

"Oh. Well, I brought you some dessert back. Here you go."

You handed him a container. 

"Jin said if you don't want it, he'll take it off your hands."

"He just finished eating with you and Taehyung!"

"I'm just the messenger," you said with a small shrug. "And speaking of messages, I've got a good one."

"He decided?"

"We've got a new client!"

"All right!" Namjoon exclaimed. "Took long enough to convince him."

"I'll say." You walked over to tell Namjoon and Sun about how you'd finally managed to convince him. Yoongi hung back, a feeling of dread suddenly washing over him.

If Taehyung was going to be a client, he was going to start popping up more. And he was going to go right back to pestering Yoongi about his music.

Great.