Happiness - Ahnyeongz

Ages 5 and 6.

"Hey Wonyoung are you okay?"

Yujin knows that Wonyoung's parents split up, and Wonyoung is crying by the balcony. Wonyoung looks up with glassy eyes and shakes her head. So Yujin walks over to sit by Wonyoung. She takes her hand and they watch the sky together. No speaking - but it's fine. Yujin knows that it will take time for Wonyoung to get over this.

After silently sitting for a while, Yujin starts pointing out clouds. Clouds that look like cats and dragons and hippos and Yujin makes funny faces to go along with them.

And Wonyoung laughs.

And that's all that Yujin was asking for.

So after hours, when Wonyoung falls asleep on Yujin's shoulder, she doesn't mind. No, she wouldn't mind, because she knows what Wonyoung needs, and if this is the way for her mind to rest peacefully, let it be that way.

Because if Wonyoung is happy, Yujin is happy.

*

Ages 8 and 9

"No, no please" Wonyoung mutters, eyes closed. Yujin slowly wakes up. "Stop, please!" Wonyoung says a little louder. By now, Yujin is worried. She walks over to Wonyoung's bed and says "Wonyoung? Wonyoung please wake up!" Wonyoung thrashes and writhes, until her eyes suddenly shoot open.

"Yujin" she says tearfully and she starts sobbing. She cries on Yujin's shoulder, but Yujin doesn't mind. She just wants Wonyoung to feel better. So when Wonyoung runs out of tears to cry, Yujin says, "Wanna talk about it?"

And she listens to all of Wonyoung's nightmare.

And when Wonyoung is done, Yujin whispers, "It's fine now. We're here together." She punches the air as though she could scare off Wonyoung's nightmares. "I'll fight off anything that comes for you." Wonyoung laughs, and Yujin smiles.

But as Yujin pulls the blanket over Wonyoung and turns to go to her own sleeping bag, Wonyoung desperately cries "Wait!"

Yujin turns back with concern written all over her face.

And Wonyoung's face turns adorably red when she says "Stay with me?"

And Yujin does. Does she mind that Wonyoung is cuddling her? No. She just wants Wonyoung to feel okay, and if this is the way, then that's fine.

But we won't talk about how much Yujin enjoyed that night.

Because if Wonyoung is happy, Yujin is happy.

*

Ages 11 and 12

"Ha, loser"

"Nerd"

"No one likes you"

It's hard when Yujin doesn't have the same breaks as Wonyoung. They're in different grades, so the schedules are different. Wonyoung struggles through school days.

But Yujin knows when something is wrong with Wonyoung.

So since Wonyoung won't tell her, she asks a friend to look after her. Kahyeon tells everything to Yujin, and Yujin is angry.

The next day, Yujin walks straight up to those boys, grabs them by their collars, and spits out "If you so much as even touch a hair on Wonyoung's head, you are going to die."

And they leave Wonyoung alone.

Wonyoung can now make friends.

And if Wonyoung is happy, then Yujin is happy too.