Ferris Wheel - Annyeongz

Yujin did not intend to be at the top of a Ferris wheel, looking down upon the entire fair wearing a unicorn onesie with sparkly face paint, but what could she say? Yujin had a painfully talented talent for losing bets.

A few hours earlier, Hitomi had challenged Yujin to a game of darts because for some reason, a kid-friendly county fair decided it would be a wonderful idea to give a bunch of six-year-olds razor-sharp pieces of metal attached to a flappy piece of plastic. Yujin, forever and always being Yujin, had accepted the challenge.

She didn't intend to lose by one hundred and twenty points.

In retrospect, it wasn't the best idea she'd ever had to accept a challenge for a game she'd never played before, but it was too late. Yujin was already bedecked in white cotton and rainbow fluff. 

There was even a shiny star that the onesie's zipper ran straight through.

Of course, the universe wasn't done with her after that.

Yujin had an unfortunate knack of wearing her heart on her sleeves and her emotions unbridled on her face.

The three friends had walked past a small girl getting a large, blue, sparkly butterfly painted just above the corner of her eye.

Yujin had probably made an expression of absolute disgust. Face paint was just so completely, distastefully, unclean.

Minju had said, "What, are you afraid?"

That was a challenge if she ever heard one.

Yujin couldn't back down from that.

They'd waited in line for another half an hour until she finally got to sit on that dreadful stool.

Her lovely best friends, kind and merciful as they were, decided to add to her rainbow-splattered, unicorn-filled humiliation.

Anyone that decided to get full-cheek, above-both-eyes, unicorn face paint must be out of their mind, Yujin had thought.

"Kim Minju," she remembered growling. "I will assassinate you."

"Mm, and I'll be very scared when you come at me dressed as a horned horse with glitter in your eyebrows."

She had lunged for Minju. Minju had hidden behind Hitomi. The facepainting lady had made a pitiful sound as her beautiful work got smudged.

Yujin had probably paid much more than she needed to for that face paint.

And now, after all that, her best friends had decided to completely screw up her life by putting her on a ferris wheel with a cute girl.

She'd never done well with heights.

She'd never done well with cute girls.

And for god's sake, she didn't do well with sitting next to cute girls stuck one hundred feet in the air on a broken fair ride.

She was going to kick Hitomi's shins for this.

"Right below the knee," she muttered out loud as her thought process got more and more infuriated with life.

"Excuse me?" Yujin whipped her head around and promptly bit so hard into her bottom lip that it started bleeding.

No, she'd never done well with cute girls.

It didn't help that this cute girl was raising the most regally arched eyebrow she'd ever seen, perfect lips puckered in a heart like she'd tried a slice of lemon.

"Nope. Nothing. Nada. Absolutely zero. Heh." Yujin swallowed, murky taste of her own blood coating the sour bile already in her throat.

She smiled sheepishly.