Based on a Part of Grandchester - Kangbi

Who's watched Grandchester?

*

I had done it. I stood up to her, and I was giddy. I had been brave. I am brave.

So now I was going to tell Sakura. We could finally be together. I couldn't wait to see the look on her face. I had prevented us from dating previously, so you could imagine that I was excited.

I just want her to be happy.

So I knocked on her door, quickly and rather loudly, until she came.

"Sakura I did it! You should have seen me, it was fantastic she was so surprised I was like-"

Someone interrupted. And it wasn't Sakura. "Saku-chan, who's this?"

Another girl, a really pretty one with a short top and tight leggings, hair perfectly tousled, walked up behind Sakura and wrapped her arms around the smaller girl.

Realization slapped me in the face. Hard.

Sakura quickly pasted a smile into her expression and said "Jjae, could you give me a minute alone with Hyewon?"

"Sure, Kura."

The tall girl walked back into the house and Sakura stepped outside, closing the door.

The crack of my heart could probably have been heard at least 10 miles away.

"I, uh, didn't know you'd be coming today, but Hyewon, this isn't wh-"

"No no no I get it it's okay I totally understand it's fine" I rambled, choking on my words. I swiftly turned away and began to walk back but Sakura grabbed my wrist.

"Hyewon, you couldn't expect to me to wait. Be honest, you were never going to gather the courage, okay? I'm sorry."

I gave a small, sad smile. "When you really love someone, you wait for them. I know I waited a long time for you." And with heart clenched and vision clouding, all bravery dissipated, I stumbled back to my house.

*

That was not Granchester worthy, but it's fine bc no one cares hahah sad life

*

"Happy birthday Wonyoung!" Wonyoung puffed her cheeks and blew out the candles. I could see why Yujin was so whipped - Wonyoung was adorable. Not my type though. I swallowed, remembering the one that was, "my type". After hiding in the back, swallowing and trying to cover up my tears, I scrambled back inside.

I had this tin. It was full of stuff from her. There was a picture of her, and a letter in her delicate handwriting. The tears came freely now. I slowly shuffled through them, smiling and crying. Who would be proud of my bravery now?

Well, it doesn't matter now. Any bravery I might have had was gone for good when that girl appeared behind Sakura.

"It takes a while, but you get used to it."

I squeaked, rapidly scrubbing away tears before turning to face Sian.

"What?"

"Living with a broken heart. You get used to it."

I chuckled. "It'll take a while to get over this one."

"Don't lose faith Hyewon. We're here for you." Sian patted my shoulder before turning away to celebrate Wonyoung, and after washing my face, I went to join her.

*

I was in the back of the library, as usual. I had just finished a good series, and I honestly didn't know what to do. I fingered the worn out spines of the books in the YA section, wondering if there were any that I hadn't read already.