Hate of the moment (Lando Norris x Reader)

Summary: y/n gets social media backlash for literally nothing apart from doing an amazing overtake on Lando, he sends his fans to attack her and her trans brother in the heat of the moment

Note: themes of transphobia, homophobia and hate crimes

Y/n POV:

Ever since my rivalry with Lando Norris began, I became less friendly to all the other drivers, terrified that they would also turn against me. All the other drivers between themselves had a beautiful chemistry, and i had a feeling I was being left out. But I knew why. It was because everyone absolutely loved Lando because he was so charming and sweet and funny and... bleah. All that gross teenage superfan behaviour.

Got to hand it to him, he was very good at manipulating his fan base and they were very good at bullying people whom he barely shaded. And that included me. I overtook him fair and square in Silverstone and he decided to make it something dramatic and slander me on social media. Of course, all the teenage girls found a way to attack me or my family, even calling my brother, a transgender man, his dead name. I did not let that slide.

When he called me, almost in tears, because he was being called slurs, he was being purposely misgendered by being called a girl and he was told that he didn't deserve to be alive, I had enough. Lando knew what he was doing, especially knowing that all his stans would go the extra mile of sucking up to him to be noticed by him. Don't get me wrong, I could take the homophobic slurs as a queer woman, but my brother as a trans person had to go through double the pain.

I walked in the paddock to my team, trying to avoid any confrontation. I wasn't going to give the media what they wanted, so I decided that they wouldn't give Lando's fans another reason to attack me and my family. Not this time.

"Hey Y/n" I heard a voice call me. I turned around there was Charles, smiling at me. "Hey" I said weakly, obviously all the stress from the week building up to me in one time. "Are you ok?" He asked "you sound a bit off". I looked at the ground and slowly shook my head. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked, I didn't want to seem weak but I really didn't want to hold it in, as it would do more harm than good, so I nodded.

We sat down in a more desolated area, and we both looked at the sun setting. "How's your girlfriend?" I asked him. "She's good" he said "she really wanted to come here and see you, especially after last week, but her mother got sick so she had to stay there". I fumbled with the strings of my jumper and sighed. "It sucks" I said quietly "Lando knew exactly what he was doing".

"Frankly I was disappointed too" he said with the same tone "he should take it like a man, not a spoiled brat" "he can't though" I said slightly louder "and a mere rivalry became my biggest hate spree. And not only that, my brother has to suffer the consequences as well. And I'm not saying that I'm the victim, but in this situation I really didn't do anything wrong. It's racing, it's not war"

Charles pulled me into a friendly hug, letting me rest my head on his chest and allowing a few tears to go down my cheek. "It's just" I mumbled "I am so proud of my brother, for taking on a journey to transition that made him who he is today. My parents were accepting of his identity, and right away we started using his new name, he was actually happy". I started sobbing "and seeing so many people say all those disgusting things and it actually affecting him, it just tears me apart".

"I know, I'm sorry" Charles mumbled. I rubbed my eyes and attempted to suck it up. "It's like either I do well for my team and sacrifice my brother or give all of this up and know that he will be safe" I said with my hoarse voice "and this was my dream but I just don't see how I can go ahead with so many people wishing I could crash and die". Charles shook his head "don't let him win. In the years to come, there's going to be a hundred of him. He knows you are talented and he sees you as a threat" he said "that overtake was amazing, like holy shit, it could even make Lewis look like a newbie".

I chuckled and he did as well "it's crazy cause even I was 10 and I saw him on TV when he was 12 and he won a karting race, I wanted to be like him. I started karting really late compared to you guys, and then that whole incident of the homophobes happened so I felt even more behind" "what incident?" "I didn't tell you? Oh, basically a bunch of homophobic men rounded me up in a corner and attempted to assault me, and they broke my arm".

"Y/n?" Both me and Charles turned around to see Lando just standing there like a mindless idiot. "We're you eavesdropping? Not only a coward but a sneak as well" I said bitterly, my tone losing all its friendliness. "Y/n we need to talk alone" he said, giving a side glance at Charles. Charles stood up and stood in front of me protectively "Lando I can't keep defending you. Y/n is just like us, the only difference is that she's a lady, so would you ever send your fans after any other driver?"

"Y/n please" Lando pleaded. Charles turned around to look at me, but I nodded and he started walking off, purposely bumping into Lando's shoulder pretty aggressive. "What is it?" I asked sternly. "I deleted everything on social media and I made a new post to tell everyone to get off your back. I'm so sorry, I never imagined they would go so far" he explained, sitting down next to me. "That's a start" I mumbled, refusing to look at him.

"I know I should have known better, but I was angry. So many people made fun of me, so I just got dragged into it. It was never my intention to hurt you or your brother, and you have every right to be disappointed. I just wish I knew what that feels like so I can properly take accountability" he explained. I suddenly got an idea. 

I smirked and ignored the fact that it still looked like I was crying, slowly I scooted next to him and leaned in. As our lip were about to meet, I punched him in the mouth. "That's what it feels like. Being so close to getting something and then have something else ruin it for you." I said, half serious half trying not to laugh at his face. 

"On a serious note thought, if you actually posted something to stop the hate I appreciate it. It goes take a lot of courage to admit that your actions led to something so big." I said "I don't need an apology, I know you didn't really mean it, but my brother needs support. He's still being called a girl by your teenage fans". "Trust me, something will be done about that. I don't tolerate transphobia or homophobia, especially if it comes from my fans" he responded. I hugged him, and mumbled a quick thank you. 

"You and Charles. Are you guys like...  thing?" He asked when we pulled back. "Oh god no!" I explained "he's a friend, and he has his own girlfriend. He was just helping me earlier". Lando finally smiled and nodded "good" he said. I blushed and looked away, only for him to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "Am I forgiven?" He asked more softly. I hesitated a little but I eventually nodded "forgive but not forget" I mumbled. He nodded "I don't expect you to completely forgive me, but I'm just doing what's right". I really understood there and there. He really did care, and before was caused by the fear of the moment, he just wanted to fix it.

"You looked really cute when you blushed by the way" he said, suddenly very close to my face.