Weirdest Race (Max Verstappen x Reader)

Summary: Y/n fights to get on the podium, even if it means radios going coo coo, animals interrupting and foot injuries. 

Warning: mention of foot injury

Note: I've been really busy lately so forgive my inconsistency in updating. 

Y/n POV 

I was doing absolutely fine during the race: I had managed to overtake Ricciardo and to keep P5, making my team relatively excited as the season didn't start the best way, since I fractured my wrist. As I was about to take the 3rd turn, when I saw a brown thing coming at me in my peripheral vision. With no time to react, I watched what appeared to be a deer jump over my fucking car and run off the track, giving me a heart attack. "The fuck?" I whispered to myself

"Y/n we just got the warning that there is a deer loose on the track, I repeat there is a deer lose on the track" the voice of someone in my team came through the radio. "Yeah... I saw" I mumbled, still recovering from the scare.

After that it all went on pretty smoothly, but I during a turn I accidentally went too on the inside and Carlos bumped into me from behind, pushing me in the side and making me spin slightly. "I think that was my fault" I told my team on the radio. The answer came quickly "copy that". I rejoined as safely as I could, but I then realised I dropped down to P7.

Taking over Carlos and Pierre to gain my position back was pretty easy, however it didn't take long for there to be another issue. It happened to Charles before, where he could accidentally hear the other team's radio, but my unintentional spying was a bit stranger than his. There was a full on conversation going on between Max and his team, and let's say it wasn't the best thing for me to eavesdrop. "You have Y/n behind you, I repeat L/n is close behind" they said. "I bet Charles wishes he could be chased by Y/n. No kidding I don't blame him. Every guy who's single out of us has some type of crush on her" Max said, and I immediately blushed under my helmet.

"Sorry to break it to you mate but we are not in the club, we are racing. And you're Max Verstappen, not Tommy innit or whatever his name is, so cut the talking about Y/n because as much as she is lovely, you need to win this" his manager replied.

"Uhmmm guys I can hear the other team's radio" I said to mine "and i found out that Max is a huge simp". "We had issues with the frequency. Apologies"

As I kept on going, I started feeling a strong pressuring pain on my foot, and it gradually became stronger and more irritating, to the point where I had to look down and discover that when I spun before, my foot actually got stuck. At first I didn't panic, but then the more I pulled, the more it hurt. "My foot is stuck right behind the pedals, I can't get it out. I don't know what's happening" I said to the radio. I didn't want to seem like a coward, however it was getting to a point where it was unbearable and even becoming dangerous.

"Ok Y/n, it's best for you to retire" they told me on the other end. "What?! No, i don't want to retire!" I said bitterly "I was just gonna tell you that I might have a problem over here but it doesn't fucking mean that I need to ducking retire". I took a deep breath in and out, realising that my reaction was a bit strong "listen guys, about ten laps are left, and we can't give up now" "but, Y/n, if your foot is stuck in the position you told me, you could break it only by bumping on something".

I looked down briefly, but I took the decision. "I guess I won't have to fuck it up then" I said confidently. There was a moment of silence "we support your decision but what will you do about the pedals?" They asked me. "I can still move the bottom part of my foot, I can somehow press them". There was more silence "okay but the first thing that goes wrong, you are retiring".

The rest of the race went pretty smoothly and I overtook a couple more people, but the final part was essential, I just hit second place and I had to defend it. Now my foot was throbbing in an unbearable pain, but I ignored it. "Nothing that can't be fixed" I said to myself in my head. I wondered how it got stuck in the first place?

Relief started coming to me as I spotted the finish line in the distance, and excitement started building up as I realised it would be my first podium!

I crossed the finish line, and I screamed in celebration with my team and enjoyed the calming sensation of the cool down lap, where the others wouldn't try to murder each other for a win. That's when my adrenaline rush stopped and I put my attention to my foot again. It didn't feel broken, but it felt like some kind of muscle separation had happened. I hated that feeling.

I parked my car in the number two spot, next to Lewis who was first (surprise surprise, am I right?) and Max on the other side who was first. They both got out of their cars, and looked back at me in confusion when I didn't get out. Max approached my car first "Hey Princess, are you alright?" He asked. My heart fluttered for a moment, but I immediately came back to reality. "My foot is stuck and I need someone on my team to get me out" I said, slightly embarrassed.

He laughed a bit and finally some mechanics came, who took off the outer parts of the outside and lifted the thing my foot was stuck under. I finally felt the relief and the lightness of it as soon as it got out of that almost crushing pressure. As I was about to get up I let out a squeal as it felt really painful to even put it down. "Uhm My foot hurts when I put it down". "Hold on Y/n" Max said "do I have permission to carry you?". I shrugged as I didn't really care, I just wanted to get out of that hellhole. "I mean, sure" I said casually. He gave me a slight smile and gently lifted me out of the car, trying not to cause more damage. "I bet the photographers are on fire over this type of shit" I said quietly. "So what do you do? Hide your face in embarrassment or pretend they aren't there?" He asked. "Hmmm" I replied "I say we give them what they want". I then started making stupid faces at the cameras as Max carried me inside, to the cool down room.

He set me down on one of the seats and first aid people rushed in immediately, telling me to carefully remove my shoes. I did so and they look a quick look, quickly coming to the realisation that one of my muscles had been moved, but it could be but back via surgery, which wasn't urgent. "I'll go to the hospital after. I've worked hard for this podium, and I wanna hold the trophy myself, even if it means this guy will carry me there" I said pointing to Max, and a few chuckles erupted from the room.

This was indeed a weird race.