Pt 2 F1 Vs MotoGP Challenge (Max Verstappen x Reader)

Summary: the first challenge is finished, now it's time for the ball drop test to measure reflexes. Seems like this time the MotoGP team is having some difficulties. Plus we also get a bit of context in Y/n family situation and her relationship with Brad.

Warnings: being kicked out of home, teenage pregnancy (y/n's sister)

Note: the second challenge suggested by @dangthatcameoutwrong Thank you my G. Part 2 of 3

Y/n POV

After me and Brad High fived, Vanessa started introducing the second challenge. The reflex challenge. Two people were supposed to be on their knees in front of each other, one hand behind their back and a tennis ball would be dropped by a third person from the same height at the same time. Whoever dropped the ball or didn't catch it, lost. "I think" Vanessa sad "we should start with the two champions. Max f1 2021 world Champion against Y/n moto2 2020 and 2021 Champion". Of course. "I'm sorry Brad" I fake cried as he patted my back and I positioned myself in front of Max. I really didn't wanna embarrass myself.

At first I avoided eye contact cause that was guaranteed to mess me up, but I decided to use reverse psychology to try and mess him up. I stared into his sound and my gaze never cowered once. The ball was dropped and we both caught it. Then again. And again. We went on for about 5 tries before I closed my hand too early and the ball bounced out of my reach, making Max victorious over me. Honestly I wasn't even mad cause I gave him a good challenge.

Next up was Brad against Checo. The two of them immediately started bluffing each other by moving their hands randomly to make the other lose focus. After a couple of tries, Checo lost concentration and allowed the ball to drop, making Brad the winner.

Immediately I cheered for him to give him confidence for when he was to go against Max.

When Brad and Max positioned themselves in the right space, I noticed an odd feeling I had. When I was against Max, I couldn't sense any serious rivalry or a drive for victory which made sense as it was a harmless challenge; however, I saw a new look in his eyes as he stared down Brad as if he was an insolent worm. Kinda felt bad for Brad to be honest. It was sort of scary. When the ball was dropped, both men caught it, and i think I noticed a death stare for a moment coming from the two of them. I actually thought they were joking. They tried again, and this time Brad slipped up and didn't catch it. "Bro it's ok you still got second place" I told him, and he gave me a genuine smile before saying "better than you" which caused me to lightly hit him in the shoulder.

For third place I had to go up against Checo. We both smiled at each other and got ready. I had to admit, even if he was much older than me, he was a very good looking man. He was classy yet respectful, still had he been my age I would've flirted with him all the way. "This is just to see who's the best of the worst" he joked "more like who's less unlucky" I added.

The tennis balls were released, and immediately we both caught it, but after the third time Checo slipped up and allowed it to drop. "Yaasssss queeeen" Brad yelled in a high pitched voice, making me giggle. Even though we hadn't won the second challenge, we both hugged. Again, the two of us were really close ever since the beginning of my career, and he even had me meet his girlfriend before she met his parents.

Me and Courtney got along almost immediately, to the point where we both got drunk one day and we almost made out, but we didn't, remembering that I would ruin my friendship and she would ruin her relationship with him. Once we went to the club and Brad had to pretend to be my boyfriend to stop a guy from hitting on me to the point where I was super uncomfortable, and another time we had to pretend not to know each other otherwise the media would get all weird. That was when he was in MotoGP and I still was in Moto 2.

But when me and Brad hugged I noticed Max suddenly changed mood. He went from all playful making fun of Checo to silent, where I could still feel anger radiating off of him. I think he was mad at me for beating his teammate? I don't know, still they won the challenge.

"Ok guys" said a man from the camera crew, "we're gonna take a little 5 minute break to start the next challenge. There's water on the table if you need". Brad gestured for me to walk with him to the table "listen," he whispered "your parents rang me today. They wanna know why you're ghosting them". My mood immediately shifted and my face dropped. "I need time. The way they treated my sister wasn't right. I know getting pregnant at 16 isn't something to be proud of, but kicking her out the way they did was beyond unnecessary" I told him "she's already in a lot of pain, and of course she's not gonna go ahead with the pregnancy- she already told me- but still it's not a decision she took lightly".

We each took a glass of water and started walking back to the F1 duo "is she alright? You know that if she needs a place to stay Courtney can look after her" he explained. I smiled "I appreciate it, really. Right now she's staying at her friends house for a couple of days and the weekend for the race, then she's coming at mine's for the next two weeks. It would be great if Courtney could be with her when the season starts again, but I don't wanna bother you guys".

"It's no problem, really. You guys are family now, and we would never leave you or her behind. Just text her the details, I'm sure she'll be happy to have a friend with her" he reassured me.

When we came back, the F1 duo was awkwardly looking at me and Brad. "...are you two good..?" I asked them. Both of them stopped staring at us and started mumbling "oh yeah, sorry" "I zoned out". I had a feeling they were talking about us while we were gone, and if they were they were doing a very shitty job at hiding it. I was about to ask them what was up when my phone rang.

Max POV

As soon as she walked away I saw her demeanour change completely. The contagious smile disappeared replaced by a concerned expression. She quickly excused herself and walked away from our hearing field, which worried me quite a lot. "Is she ok?" I asked Brad. He too seemed a bit stressed "I think so" he said.

I had missed my shot to ask her out because I was an idiot. I was going to do it after she got water, but then both me and Checo started acting really awkward so I just dismissed it.

When she returned she looked pretty relieved. "It's fine, my sister was just checking on me." She explained "she forgot I was working". I was staring to feel really annoyed because she only looked at her teammate, and barely spoke to us (to me). The two of them seemed really close which I also didn't like. Strange, she didn't come across as the shy type.

I'll have to wait after the third and final challenge is done.