Fix that light (Daniel Ricciardo x reader)

Summary: Y/n is an engineer and she is forced to do the most useless stuff, for example fixing the light. She thinks she's gonna be in that position for ever. Does Daniel think so too?

Y/n PoV

"Y/n?" I looked up at the sound of my name being called by Jack "can you fix this light? We can't see properly" he said. I nodded, hiding my annoyance. Why didn't he ask Fred? Oh I knew why. That piece of shit gave me the most useless jobs, just because I'm the only woman in the team and he wanted to prove that I couldn't keep up with him. Well, he was wrong. 

I swore under my breath as I grabbed the ladder and positioned it under the broken light. The whole thing was gone "for heaven's sake Jack, this is not my job, I am not your electrician. This thing needs to be changed" I yelled over at him. "Can you tell what the problem is?" He asked, not even looking at me "yeah...?" I said, confused as to why he would ask that after I told him the lamps needed to be all replaced. "Then just do it" he said. 

"I'm a mechanical engineer, not your slave" I said. "Well you're paid to do what we tell you to do" he said "I'm paid for fixing cars, not lights." I rebutted. "How much would it hurt to just fix it?" He groaned. I put my hand on my hip "Well, for starters... a please could help". He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Ughhhhj fine" he said "will you please fix the damn light?" He asked in an obviously fake tone. 

"Sure" I said, dragging the word out. I started taking everything down and putting it back, but I couldn't find the screwdriver. As I searched my tool box I heard Jack greet someone as they came in "Hello Daniel. I see you're in early today" he said in a formal tone. Ughh he was so fake. If only everyone knew how he really was.

"Yep" he said "I'm here to see how hard my favourite team had been working recently". I scoffed under my breath. "Do you have anything to add, Y/n?" He asked in his annoying voice. I rolled me eyes "no, mister generic" I said, not taking my eyes off what I was doing. "Well I'm not complaining. You're definitely doing a great job" he remarked sarcastically. He patted the ladder, and I yelled "Jack don't do it this thing is very unstable-" before feeling myself fall backwards. 

I couldn't grab onto anything so I accepted the fate of meeting the hard ground. But I didn't. I fell into someone's arms. I looked up and- holy shit- it was Daniel. I was in the arms of Daniel Ricciardo. "I condemn your safety for the rest of the team though" he said sternly making Jack look down in embarrassment and walk away. 

He put me down gently "are you ok?" he asked me, as my heart was still beating rapidly as a result of my very close call. "Ihh... I... uhhh... yeah. Yeah, I'm good" I mumbled, not really able to meet his eyes knowing that I will blush. "I hope I didn't offend him" he said looking towards the direction Jack had gone off to. "And so what if you did? No one likes him anyways" I said a little more bravely.

"Is he why you were fixing the light instead of being with the team?" He asked. "Unfortunately" I confirmed "tho I did talk back to him". Daniel chuckled and I blushed. Wow this man radiates pure joy. "So you're Y/n" he said. I nodded "that's meeee".

He looked me up and down. "I heard amazing things about you, especially from friends who had you in their team" he explained "but I really wasn't expecting you to be-" "a loser nerd" I interrupted him, already used to those insults. "I was about to say a beautiful woman" he concluded. I blushed and gave him a small smile "thank you so much but you really don't have to compliment me!"

He smirked "let me give you a proposition" he said. I raised my eyebrows and looked at him confused. "Would you be down to go on a date with me?" He asked. My confusion spiked even higher, as I was expecting it to be some kind of bait to embarrass me in front of Daniel. "Is anyone paying you?" I asked him. Before he responded, I went on a rant "it was Jack's sister Janet wasn't it? Oh I knew the real shit! She thinks she's so pretty and perfect, but no one knows that she has an extra toe in-"

I stopped myself when I saw Daniel's look of surprise "Are you seriously asking me out for real?" I asked. "Yes Y/n" he said, emphasising each word in a comedic way, making me laugh "I am seriously and truthfully asking you on a date."

I looked around the room "Tuesday" I said. "Tomorrow" he rebutted. "Monday" I said louder. "Saturday" he exclaimed. I rolled my eyes "8:30 pm. This is my number and my address" I said as I handed him a piece of paper. "Remember, you have one shot at this: don't mess it up." I whispered. He winked and leaned in "trust me, I won't" He said smoothly. Very smoothly. 

"L/n!?" I jumped at the sound Jack calling me "have you fixed the lights?". Ughhhh. I was so busy with Daniel that I lost track of time "ughhh. Not yet. Just a second". Daniel suppressed a laugh and I rolled my eyes. "Well do it then!" I got Jack's response. I reluctantly climbed on the ladder, aware that Daniel was still watching me. 

"Do the red wire first" he suggested, and it actually worked better than the method I was originally going for. "Thanks" I whispered. "Are you even paid to be here this long? I thought you ended at noon." He asked me, but I shrugged. "Nah, but I'm ok working slightly over time" I responded. 

"Can I take you home tonight then?" He asked. I finally turned around to face him again. "I would love that" I said, followed by both of us smiling at each other".