A different win (Lando Norris x reader)

Summary: y/n gets a visit from her parents' lawyer whom she tried to forget for years. She was expecting a lawsuit after she spoke about them in interviews, but it turns out to be way worse. 

Y/n POV

I slumped down in the couch in relief. I was in my private room after the qualifications and I finished 5th, which was my best result yet. I locked my door and started changing into my everyday wear to finally go back to the hotel. I had just put on my jumper when I heard a knock at the door. I opened it and saw my pit manager standing to a man dressed in formal wear.

I didn't recognise him at first, but then I felt my heart rise to my throat. It was my parents' lawyer. I panicked and started thinking of everything I said in interviews after I got my last cease and desist letter from my parents from alleged defamation on public display. At this point it could've been my 5th legal warning before they sued me, and I thought it might as well be it: I'm getting sued by my own parents.

I had been kicked out of the house two years ago for being caught making out with a girl. My parents were very strict, so as a revenge after I got into formula one, I started going to interviews to teen shelters and charities, and they would be uploaded on the internet. And of course in the interviews, I would spill the tea on everything my parents did to me for simply being bisexual.

"Hey Y/n" my manager said in a grave tone "Mr McAllan is here to talk to you privately". I nodded and moved aside to let him in. He walked in the small room and closed the door, already preparing for the worst. "Would you like to sit down?" I asked him. "No thank you, it will just a few minutes"

I bit my lip "How much?" I asked sternly. "Pardon?" "How much are they suing me for?". He sighed and looked down. "Unfortunately, I'm not here for any lawsuit. To be honest I'd rather it was a lawsuit. I have been sent here by your parents-" "they're not my parents anymore" "your former parents" he corrected himself "I've been sent here to tell you that your grandmother passed away a couple of hours ago".

My legs weakened and I gripped the edge of the table to prevent myself from falling to the floor. I felt hot tears in my eyes ready to spill down my cheeks. "I'm sorry Y/n, I know it's hard. Your name was mentioned in her will, and she wished for you to be there at her funeral. It's on Monday, and your parents say they would like to see you there."

I felt the tears travel down my face. "My condolences. I'm leaving now, I was only told to inform you of this. I can let myself out" he said as he walked towards the door. Just before he opened the door I build up my strength to ask him "why? Why didn't they call me or come themselves?" with my incredibly hoarse voice.

He sighed and turned around to face me again "your parents thought it was best if they didn't show up out of the blue. I'm sure you understand. Have a good day" he says before opening the door and leaving. I crumbled on the couch and started crying like crazy, though no sound was coming out. I felt broken. I had visited her in the hospital every Wednesday, making sure my visiting schedule would not overlap with my parents'. She had always been the only one in the family to accept me for who I was, and when I got kicked out, she was the first person to welcome me.

"Y/n? Are you ok in there?" I heard my good friend Lando Norris knock on my door. He sounded pretty worried. I quickly dried my tears and sat up on the couch "yeah, I'm ok" I said. I tried to disguise the fact that I was crying, but my voice was still hoarse. "I'm coming in" he said. I didn't even bother to stop him, I really need a friend right then.

He opened the door and gasped when he saw me with tear-stained eyes, sniffing and hugging my legs to my chest. He walked up to me and sat down on the couch next to me. He didn't say anything, but he just wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into his chest. We just stayed there until I kind of calmed down, and a I fell asleep while listening to his even heartbeat.

I woke up to gentle swaying and arms around me. I opened my eyes, and saw Lando looking down at me, slightly smiling. He was probably waking me to the get car or something. "Your taxi arrived" he said "should I take you outside". I nodded and he carefully helped me stand. I felt broken, and the only thing that was preventing me from letting myself drop on the floor in tears was his strong hold. "Hey Lando, can you come with me?" I asked shyly. He chuckled and said "Sure, beautiful".

Beautiful. Did he just call me beautiful? Or was it to just make me feel better? I sat on the back seat as Lando told the driver where the hotel was, then he sat next to me and pulled me in a tight hug, as I began to cry softly on his shoulder again. He stroked my hair and whispered "what happened? You don't have to tell me..." "no it's ok. I need to get it all out anyways. My grandma died today" I said in between sobs. "Oh y/n, I'm so sorry" he said quietly. He kissed my forehead, and I felt relaxed. 

"Thank you Lando" I said softly "I love you". He froze, but I didn't wanna take it back. I didn't want to lie, and the loss of my grandmother made me realise that we never know how much time we have left. So I admitted it. I had a crush on him since the first few weeks, as he was the first one who took me in and taught me everything he knew. I was 18 and he was 20, but I don't ever think he saw me in any romantic way. 

"What did you say" he asked, obviously still in shock. I looked at him with my glossy, tear stained eyes "I love you Lando". I already braced myself for a complete reject and heartbreak. His face softened "you have no idea how much I wanted to hear that coming from your mouth" he said quietly. "I love you too Y/n, and I know I will never be able to know how you feel, but I will always make you feel better"

I leaned up to kiss him and just before our lips met I stopped "can you come to the funeral on Monday with me? I don't think I will ever make it alone with my parents there". He kissed me gently "sure thing Doll". I felt him pull me to his chest and I rested my head on his shoulder, only to fall asleep on him again.