32.

Chapter 32
Memories/Soulmates.

"I deserved it

"I deserved it."

Those were the only words that left Thorfinn's lips when the prince asked him what had happened between him and Y/n.

It took a while for Canute to convince Thorfinn to visit Y/n tonight since Thorfinn believed so strongly that she needed space. Which Canute replied by saying she wants space but it isn't what she needs.

Even though Canute knew Y/n wanted to be alone just as much as Thorfinn did, he had to make sure the two made up. It was selfish, but he couldn't have Y/n off track of their mission because of the conflict.

So now, Thorfinn stood at her door.

Giving it three light knocks, when their was no reply he opened the door to peak inside.

Inside of the very small room that was poorly lit by a single candle, he could see Y/n sleeping soundly in her bed.

Walking in he slowly closed the door behind him. Light on his feet he was able to grab a chair and place it down beside her bed so he could sit.

Staring down at her calm resting expression he could feel peace wise from within him as his whole body relaxed into the chair. He was against waking her, because he knew this may be the last time he spends such peaceful time alone with Y/n.

It was today that Thorfinn realized how much Y/n meant to him.

Reaching out he caressed her cheek softly, his other hand on his knee as he laid his chin in his palm.

When she stared at him with nothing but pain in her eyes, he felt as if his world was falling apart all over again. Comparable to the feeling he felt when he saw his father murdered in front of his own eyes.

Because in the same way he lost his father, he lost Y/n.

And once again-- he blamed himself.

The light the candle radiated shone perfectly on Y/n's face, one Thorfinn believed to be the prettiest he'd ever laid eyes on. His thumb traced over her cheek bone gently as he admired her silently in the dimly lit room.

The only thing he regretted was not being able to explain to Y/n the misunderstanding, but it didn't matter anymore-- not like it would change anything.

As he sat there, he recalled all of the petty arguments, laughs, sad moments, and happy moments he spent with Y/n throughout the years.

They grew up together, and she was the only thing that kept him from being consumed completely by the hatred. If it wasn't for her, he would've forgotten what it felt like to love another.

He believed Y/n was the light in the darkness, as she showed that their was light at the end of the dark tunnel.

Thorfinn's emotions often conflicted each other, as their were moments where he wanted to do nothing but crush Y/n in a hug. But instead he would jab at her with insults to hide his emotions, he didn't know how to express them properly.