1.

Chapter 1
A Mothers Love part 1 

Her eyes slowly peeled open at the sound of feminine voices speaking in foreign tongue, as well as feeling movement coming from beside her

Her eyes slowly peeled open at the sound of feminine voices speaking in foreign tongue, as well as feeling movement coming from beside her. Rubbing her eyes, she let out a loud yawn. She felt a hand clamp down onto her shoulder and shake her slightly.

Furrowing her brows, looking off to the side she was surprised to see Thorfinn sitting down in bed beside her. He was glaring down at her, as he shook her awake.

The 8 year old girl shot up, the thin blanket slipping off of her upper body. Looking down frantically she saw the fresh bandages wrapped tightly around her flat, underdeveloped chest.

Last night's memories were still fresh in her mind, being chased down by dogs, an arrow penetrating her thigh, and finally blacking out. One thing she couldn't remember, was how she ended up in a strangers home in bed with Thorfinn.

It didn't matter, all that did was that they followed out with the plan and gave the signal at nightfall.

Peaking underneath the sheets, she saw her thigh wound had been cleaned as well as wrapped up neatly in bandages to stop the bleeding. She let out a sigh of relief, but her muscles tensed up when she heard the woman speak again.

"I was just about to fix some dinner. How is your arm feeling? Is your friend awake now too?"

She cocked a brow hearing the language that rolled off her tongue-- english. Y/n was able to understand what the lady was saying, her father taught her the language when she was 4. Although, it was still a difficult for her to speak fluently.

All the words the woman spoke to Thorfinn went through one ear and the other, the thing that distracted Y/n was her growing hunger.

"Come sit down, the two of you must be hungry."

The girls eyes widened, she sprung out of bed and got changed into the clothes the older woman had folded and washed for her. Thorfinn following behind her only after his stomach decided to speak for him.

Y/n knew she would need tons of energy for tonight--the small dinner the woman prepared could keep her going for days.

"What's your name? and where did you two come from?"

The girl stopped chowing down on her food for a second to raise her eyes to the teenage girl and slightly aged woman in front of her. Wiping the food from her lips, she then began to scratch her hair.

"Y/n." Y/n laid a hand flat on her chest to indicate she was giving her name, then she put a hand on Thorfinn's shoulder. "Him, Thorfinn.." The boy was quick to react and swatted her hand away, "Thorfinn no english."

The girl seated in front of them with freckles began to scratch the back of her head while frowning.

"You two look no older than ten, what happened to your family?"

Y/n chose to ignore her question, bringing her full attention back onto her food.

"I knew they wouldn't understand us, I knew they had to be foreign! Even the boy was muttering curses in his sleep."

"That's not so surprising is it? His majesty decided to wipe out all Danes, it made lots of orphans like him."

"You think they're danish?!"

Y/n didn't think much of what the two were conversing about. Her and Thorfinn continuing to scratch their hair while eating around the table. The fleas jumping out of her head from every one of her aggressive scratches

The girl sitting across from the two caught on when she suddenly began to feel itchy as well.

"Mum they're covered in fleas! Stop scratching your hair they fleas are jumping into the food!"

"Oh my, we'll need to comb through them. Come on then, nobody is going to steal your food."

Now the pair sat outside, The woman already made quick work with Thorfinn's hair and was now combing through Y/n's. His cheeks burned bright red in embarrassment.

Y/n melted into the feeling of the english woman combing through her hair that didn't dare go past her ears. Unlike Thorfinn, this was the first time Y/n hair was being nurtured by another woman. The foreign feeling was enough to make her guard drop, her body relaxed from her gentile touch.

After combing through Y/n's hair, she went back to combing Thorfinn's.

Y/n curiosity was shifted towards the dog sitting in front of her. It's tongue hanging out of it's mouth as it panted. The girl reached out a hand towards the dog and flinched slightly when he began to sniff her hand. Her eyes widened when it's tongue licked her hand, she thought he was going to bite her. Hesitantly, she began to pet the dog. 

"My youngest one would scratch and scratch at his head.." She blew at the comb, "A good combing would always settle him down." 

Y/n pouted when the dog left her side to sniff up Thorfinn who held a grumpy expression. 

"He died of a fever, year before last.."

"I.. don't understand what you're saying I'm not english." Thorfinn finally opened his mouth to speak, both of the woman's brows jumping at the language that sounded like gibberish to her. 

Y/n turned her head to look at the woman as she began to laugh loudly, "Well bless me you can speak after all! She's right, those do sound like curses!" Y/n failed to suppress her small laugh seeing Thorfinn get smacked in the back of his head.

A warm feeling began to swarm Y/n's chest when she heard the english woman erupt in laughter. During the wholesome moment a very foreign feeling it was-- she didn't know how to describe it. 

But it was cut short when she heard the sound of a horse quickly approaching. 

A man, clearly fighting with the english army had stopped in front of the three. 

"You there!"

The small smile was quickly wiped from Y/n's face as she held her head down, regretting not brining her sword outside with her. Glancing to the side, she felt a bit relieved to see that at least Thorfinn was armed. 

"Two viking spies have infiltrated this area. Have you seen two unfamiliar boys around?" 

"Boys? Little boy pirates?" 

Y/n furrowed her brows as her glare on the ground hardened, unsure if the woman would sell them out.

"Do not take these boys lightly, they've already killed two of his majesty's thegns. One should have an arrow in his arms, the other in his thigh." 

Thorfinn's hands were ready to pull out his dagger, Y/n of course took notice of this. 

"Woman, are these ones yours?" 

Y/n's heart stopped for a moment, the tension in the air was thick. 

"Yes. Two of my youngest-- John and Edgar." The woman placed one of her hands down on Y/n's shoulder. 

The glare Y/n held towards the ground softened. 

"They'll be around that boy's height, send word if you see him." 

And with that, the man turned around on his horse and left. Y/n and Thorfinn both looking up with wide eyes, turning to look up the woman who they were so sure would rat them out.