26.

Chapter 26
A Woman in a Man's World.

"His highness prince Canute!" One of the guards announced his arrival as he and another guard opening the large doors so all four of them could walk inside and greet the king. 

Although they stopped in the middle of the entrance, not daring to take another step into the throne room. Placing their right hands to their heart, all four of them bowed their heads slightly as a sign of respect in the kings presence. 

"So you have returned Canute, I am pleased." The king was first to speak, his voice deep and intimidating. 

"Thank you for your kind words, majesty. I'm afraid I am unworthy of them, as I have lost the entire contingent of men you granted me." Canute said in response, the king, his father, raised a hand as he motioned with his index finger for them to walk deeper into the throne room.

"Approach." The man of high status demanded, without hesitation Canute's foot raised from the ground as his was about to take a step forward. 

Y/n's hand stopped him as she grabbed his arm, "Careful, your highness." She whispered eyes nonchalantly scanning the dark room. 

"What do you think Y/n?" Askeladd whispered to the girl, his eyes not darting towards her but also around the room. 

"Yeah they're here." She said, hand retracting to her side, "twenty I'd say. Above us, too. Archers."

"An ambush, it would seem his majesty senses our plot." Thorfinn added, his voice hush as well.

"What is the matter? come closer." The king repeated his earlier demands, as the prince took his first steps forward the three followed closely behind him. 

"No matter what you must now draw your swords. In this sort of fight, he who draws first loses." 

As they walked deeper into the room, eyes quickly adjusting to the dark-- the four were now able to make out the king's facial features. 

King Sweyn was an old overweight man with what appeared to be a bad skin condition. The king was also missing many of his teeth, his face littered with winkles exposing his old age. 

"Halt." Raising his hand that expelled power the man ordered them to stop once they reached the middle of the room, "that will do, kneel." Seeing as they obediently got down to their knee the king released a sigh raising his drink a servant that was already by his side began to fill his drink. "What happened to Ragnar? I do not see him with you." 

"He died, in Mercia." 

"I see, a lamentable loss. He was a loyal, a true vassal. Normally your return would be cause for celebration. You would be greeted with a proper feast. But I have longed desired, the opportunity to speak with you unfettered by social custom... Stand Canute." Canute rose to his feet, "Take ten paces forward." Making a hand motion with his hands, his son listened obediently and took ten paces forward. "Ahh. In a very short period of time.. Your face has changed, you look as I did when I was young. King sweyn commented while looking into the piercing blue eyes of Canute. 

"Then you must understand what lies within my heart your majesty.." Canute narrowed his eyes at his biological father who only sighed and took a sip from his cup.

"You are a troublesome child, you resemble me even in that." King sweyn added, letting his eyes fall shut for a moment. 

"A son grows by watching his father, surely, you will not blame me for this your majesty." 

Putting down his cup the king took off his crown, "When I was young, I drove my father the king into exile and seized this crown for myself. I believed it was the best thing for the realm. The old king was a fool, he loved war. Cruel in nature but a coward, when such a man wears the crown the world suffers." The king briefly explained.