52.

A/n: you guys are going to HATE me for this chapter

Chapter 52
Stand out

The next morning Y/n found herself wondering the town that surrounded the big home of king Harold. Wearing casual clothing, her h/c hair that was usually tied into a low ponytail since it'd grown over the years was left alone. Today she allowed the free strands to flow down her back, hair parted down the middle she tucked some behind her ear to prevent it from hindering her vision.

A cloth bag around her chest, she was looking forward to buying some things at the market.

Surely enough, as noon arrived the sun was high in the air. Lively children filled the streets and the elders were hard at work.

"I'd like to buy one apple please." Y/n requested with a small smile, before grabbing a ripe apple she reached down into her bag to fetch a few coins. Placing it into the old lady's outstretched hand, Y/n observed how the woman's face twisted into one of confusion. "Keep the change." Y/n smiled, not wasting time to take a bite of the fresh fruit she paid for with a generous amount of money.

"Thank you," The lady replied, as her lips stretched into a kind smile the wrinkles that followed with her age became more apparent. "Please, take another." She offered, Y/n not planning on turning it down.

The red fruit held between her teeth to free her sole arm, she grabbed another and let it fall into her bag. After doing so she took another huge bite of the delicious apple before waving the woman goodbye to continue her trek through the village.

Walking down the busy path, she couldn't help but be completely enveloped in her thoughts.

On what'd happened last night.

'stop thinking about it..'

Y/n told herself once again, trying but failing to shake the thoughts away. The whole reason she left the gates of Harolds home and ventured the common streets was to give herself a break.

Give herself space.

She knew it was unsympathetic to be thinking the way she was after Canute had opened up to her about something troubling; something deeply personal.

She just wanted to run away from it all.

"You're all I have left."

His voice played back in her head, plaguing her mind. As she wondered absentmindedly, her legs carried her to the shore. Walking along the dock, she sat down on the edge; allowing her legs to hang free over the water.

The water so pure it perfectly reflected the sky, the calming sounds of waves crashing emitting from it's body.

Y/n stared at her mirrored self in the water, tempted to jump in and let the currents pull her in; drowning away all her thoughts.

Instead she simply sighed, allowing her shoulders to slump putting her gloominess on display.

The hole in her chest was getting bigger and bigger, and she felt as if their was only one way to fill it. She felt like she needed to be with him to feel whole again, but her time with Canute last night made reality crash down on her.

She needs to move on.

Was she meant to live the rest of her life feeling like this? Why was she never really in control of anything?

Then it dawned upon her, what was really keeping her here? It wasn't as if Canute was holding her prisoner; she chose to stay.

She chose not to leave and look for Thorfinn.