3.

Chapter 3
Demoralisation

Sadness, anger, frustration, confusion

Y/n's frowned faintly as her brows knitted together. Even when surrounded by gold, a feeling of discomfort welled up inside of her chest. She felt beyond miserable, as she began to doubt herself.  

"You and I are the same."

The words repeated themselves like a broken record in her head. Thorfinn and her conversation from last night was bothering her. It wasn't very often Y/n and Thorfinn conversed, if they did, it always somehow resulted in an argument. Most of the times his insults and curses would fall on deaf ears-- but for some reason she couldn't let go of what was said last night.

The now 17 year old girl inhaled a considerable amount of oxygen as she closed her eyes, her breastplate moving upwards from the large intake. Holding her breath, she attempted to clear her mind. 

She muted the sound of the older men cheering, laughing and boasting amongst one another. Endeavouring to only hear the reverberation of each wave as they clashed together. The faint sound of the ocean was all Y/n needed to vacate her mind. 

Her eyes remained closed as she released a sharp exhale from her nose. On the ship, she was sitting with her back against a treasure chest. 

'THUMP'

Her eyes shot open feeling a wet object fall onto her thighs. 

The sight made her gasp, thrashing her legs violently the deceased mans head rolled over to Askeladd's feet where he stood. Thorfinn's hand emerged from the water as he climbed up into the ship, Y/n's glare fell onto him immediately knowing he was the culprit. 

Her mind was already in a dark place, a head was the absolute last thing Y/n wanted to see. She didn't bother pay attention to Thorfinn challenging her father to a duel. 

Taking off her nasal helmet, she brought both her blistered and rough hands over her ears. Wanting to do nothing but scream til she ripped her vocal cords, Y/n put a lid on it. 

Tightening the lid, she successfully bottled up her emotions. 

Removing her hands from her ears, Y/n didn't feel better in the slightest. Her dominant hand found its way on top of her head, scratching her dirty h/c tresses. 

Choosing not to engage in conversation with anyone on board, Y/n continued to sit alone. 

Time doesn't wait for anybody, before she knew it the sun had set and the stars littered the night sky. 

Crossing her legs, Y/n's e/c orbs were trained on the night's airglow. The ship was finally quiet, not much people still awake. 

This was a sight Y/n loved to look at, even if she never got the chance to get to know her mother, she knows this was also a sight her mother wished to see. Her mother longed to witness a starry night while in the middle of the sea.