37.

Chapter 37.
Goodnight

"Hey! Canute," Y/n jogged up to the prince, who turned to face her; a smile painting his features

"Hey Y/n, so what happened..?" Canute asked her, noticing how her cheeks immediately flushed as she furrowed her brows at him. Then her eyes widened as realization dawned upon her.

'He's obviously wondering if Gunnar is innocent,'

"O-oh yeah uhm," Y/n shook her head, "Yeah he's a spy." Y/n blinked a couple times as she recomposed herself. "Gunnar's a spy." She said again watching as the prince raised a brow at how flustered she was acting.

"Did...Anything else happen?" He asked, remembering that Thorfinn did go along with Y/n to follow Gunnar.

"Anything else happen?" Y/n repeated his question under her breath, "Oh, no-no,Hahaha!"

Canute chuckled, "are you sure Y/n?" He crossed his arms over his chest, finding her reactions amusing.

"100%," She said putting up two thumbs up. "Anyways I was going to ask you if you know where my dad is...? He told me he'd talk with me tonight." Y/n asked the prince who nodded.

"Askeladd is still inside, he's waiting for you actually." Canute pointed to where Askeladd resided, "I'm going to return to my chambers now, are you excited for tomorrow?"

"Excited? I wouldn't say I am, looking forward to it I guess.." Y/n rolled her eyes at the thought of having to sit in the presence of the sexist king. "Your dad's an asshole."

"Yours is too,"

'At least my dad isn't plotting to kill me.'

Y/n bit down on her tongue, even though she would've said it in a joking manner it wasn't something to joke about.

"Also, for tomorrow I had a dress made for you to wear." Canute told Y/n who tilted her head before punching him playfully in the chest.

"A dress? I've never worn one before! You didn't have to, Canute." Y/n thanked him, taken aback by the gift. When she was a little girl she'd never worn a dress, as expected after taking up the sword and masking her gender she'd never worn feminine clothing. "And I was planning on staying outside," She added.

"not anymore," The prince smirked, "Don't worry, it's not too extravagant. Casual just for the occasion, and I know it'll fit you very well."

Y/n groaned, "No but really Canute you did--"

"Y/n, we're friends, right?"

The girl sighed, a small smile appearing on her face. "Right,"

Canute smiled kindly, raised a hand to her shoulder he gave it a friendly pat. "You should go get to Askeladd, I need to get to bed now. Good night Y/n, don't stay up too late, okay?"