60.

Chapter 60
The person they knew

"King Canute wants to come and seize our lands! The lands of our forefathers that we inherited, cultivated, and protected for all these generations! He would use his influence to steal them!!" Ketil stood atop of a boulder dressed in gear ready to fight, below him were the men who worked on the farm all armed with whatever could be used as a fatal weapon.

On top of the hill where Y/n stood, her eyes glazed over the huge crowd of men yelling as they riled themselves up for battle, the sight giving her deja vu.

Ketil's threats along with the curses the men yelled went through one of her ears and out the other, simply saddened by the sight of men raising their weapons.

"Come, Y/n."

Feeling a tug on her hand, she turned her head to face Thorfinn giving him a slight nod before following behind him back to the small house.

As they walked she couldn't stop looking at their fingers that were intertwined together, her heart fluttering in her chest.

The two hadn't said much to each other, not because they didn't know what to say but because they felt it wasn't the appropriate time. Their feelings for each other would have to wait for another time, because a war was brewing.

Since being reunited, Thorfinn couldn't keep his eyes off of Y/n. He was having trouble wrapping his head around the fact that she somehow became even more breath taking over their years apart; he didn't think it was possible for her to be more beautiful than she was the last time he seen her.

Y/n thought the same, the first time she looked into Thorfinn's eyes though she felt she was looking at a completely different person. He changed so much, not in a bad way but to the point he was almost unfamiliar.

His eyes didn't carry hate in them anymore, the usual scowl on his face nowhere to be found.

She didn't have to ask to know the things he'd gone through on this farm changed him for the better.

Staring at the back of his head, she took note of the length of his neat ponytail-- his hair so long it reached his mid back. His blonde locks weren't matted either like they always used to be, his hair looked rather clean.

The only things that concerned her from when she first got a proper look at Thorfinn's face earlier when they pulled back from their hug, was the fresh cut running down from the outside of his eye to his jaw. It was deep, and she knew it would scar his handsome face. This along with the fact that a bit of the tip of one of his ears was literally missing.

"Thorfinn," Thorfinn's heart skipped a beat, he'd have to get used to hearing her voice calling out his name again. He turned his head to face her as he walked to give his full attention. "Can we just stop walking for a sec." She halted in her steps, surprising Thorfinn but he stopped as well.

"What happened? Are you okay?" Closing some of the distance between them, Thorfinn let go of her hand to cup her cheek; feeling her skin go hot from his touch.

"I-I--" Y/n closed her mouth for a moment, cursing herself for stuttering. "I just wanted to be alone with you." She admitted, earning a small smile tight-lipped smile from Thorfinn. The sight only made her more flushed, her heart picking up in her chest as her gaze fell to Thorfinn's lips.

Noticing where Y/n's eyes were glued too his smile grew wider. Realizing she was caught, her eyes snapped back up to Thorfinn's brown ones. The man could feel her cheek grow even warmer against his rough palm.

"You look so different.." Y/n said, she was expecting him to look older but seeing the goatee on his face made reality hit ten times harder.

"In a bad way?" Thorfinn teased, his hand sliding off of Y/n's face and back to her side. His eyes lighting up seeing the way Y/n's facial expression contorted as she panicked.