12.

12.
Marching 
Prince Canute pt2

"As your servant I humbly ask to look upon your royal visage." Askeladd spoke out to the prince while him and Bjorn both took a knee in respect. 

'Woah..' 

Taking off his face coverings, the princes soft and feminine features caught everyone off guard.

"Prince? You sure they don't mean princess." 

Stomp, Stomp, Stomp,

Y/n kept her head down as she marched alongside Askeladd's men, she felt envious of the prince who didn't have to do any walking. She could feel a headache creeping up on her, and to be quite frank the quiet incoherent whispers bugging her consciousness were one of the things helping her to stay awake. 

"Ack-" 

In the moment Y/n slightly regretted keeping her head down as she walked, for some reason the man in front of her decided to come to a sudden halt in his steps causing her to walk straight into his back. 

Looking up she finally noticed Askeladd's hand that signalled for everyone to stop marching. 

She raised a brow when she saw Askeladd turn his horse to approach the old man who was fishing on a tiny boat. 

'Whatever, this is my chance to find Thorfinn.' 

Her head was on a shrivel as tried to sport the short boy, unfortunately the break was short lived as Askeladd returned just as soon as he left. 

Stomp, Stomp, Stomp, 

'Reinforcements huh? we're in the smack middle of England.' 

Y/n thought to herself, letting her gaze fall onto the river of Severn. She was used to doing a lot of marching, but seeing a body of water right beside her reminded her of just how much she preferred to be on a boat. 

When Askeladd had returned to the group earlier after speaking with the old man, he informed everyone that they would be meeting with reinforcements. Subsequently, they had to stay on the run from Throkell and his dogs until they arrived. 

Not to far behind Y/n stood Thorfinn who was staring past the men who separated them to stare at her back. 

Usually during the days Askeladd and his men had to march Thorfinn and Y/n would kill the time by talking with one another. Which most of the time resulted in them getting into a small argument, other times they would have a pleasant conversation. 

He wanted to walk beside the girl so badly, he didn't even care to talk, he just wanted to be around her. 

"Your mothers name is Helga?"

But he feared she'd ask him again. 

While Y/n often opened up to Thorfinn about her boring but somewhat eventful life before joining Askeladd at sea, he refused to do the same. It was something Thorfinn hoped he'd never have to do, the subject of his family being a topic he wasn't comfortable sharing. 

After all, when he spoke of his family he couldn't help but wonder how they were doing. To think that his small family had to bear the news of learning of his fathers death only to also hear about Thorfinn going missing. 

'they most likely think I'm dead.' 

His eyes widened slightly when Y/n turned her head and met his stare. He slightly panicked when Y/n began to push pass men to meet him.