21.

Chapter 21
trust

Y/n watched as Bjorn forced Canute into a sled, Askeladd slapping the young boy across the face to silence his cries. 

Thorkell was hot on their trails, giving the prince no time to properly mourn Ragnars death after seeing his body laid out on a table. This of course threw him into a state of instant denial, at first he was stunned, then he was angry at Y/n for not being able to protect Ragnar. Currently, Y/n was standing beside Thorfinn who has yet to speak a single word to her. 

Ever since the time she was sick, the two have been talking but things felt a bit awkward-- like there was some type of tension between them. All this energy radiating off of Thorfinn though, Y/n acted normally while he was acting a bit odd around her. 

By murdering Ragnar Y/n was forced to swallow the red pill-- a reality check. 

She was a murderer, a cold blooded one at that. There wasn't time for her to be running around and playing friends with the prince

Y/n was reminded of her place. 

She also realized something after murdering Ragnar. She didn't have a purpose anymore, the last thing she was hanging on to was returning to Bo during the winters but Bo isn't real. So she finally decided, that this goal of Askeladd's was now her own. 

Without Askeladd she would be no where, after all he is her father-- so it's the least she could do for him. Y/n hadn't a clue when her sickness would strike her down, so she wanted to make sure for however much time she had left she stuck by her fathers side. 

Y/n was also clueless about what Askeladd's end goal was, but she knew her father wouldn't go through all of this for something that wasn't of urgency. 

Her headaches have been bothering her, but Y/n has become skilled at ignoring the voices in her head and shoving them to he back of her mind. She was used to the never ended noises-- she was practically raised in a band of vikings. 

Feeling the cold nipping at her exposed hands, Y/n brought them up to her face as she blew warm air onto them before beginning to rub them together quickly. 

Marching, Y/n took notice of the fact that a lot of Askeladd's men had actually turned their backs on him to join Thorkell. 

"fools." Y/n mumbled under her breath catching the taller boys attention, Thorfinn raised a brow. Y/n raised her head so she was looking straight ahead, Thorfinn's eyes on Y/n's side profile. "Do they really believe they will be able to join Thorkell?" Y/n commented to no one in particular.

"Why not?" Thorfinn responded, not that he cared about Askeladd's men at all, he was curious to know Y/n's reasonings. Without turning her head, Y/n's eyes darting to the side to meet Thorfinn's brown ones. 

"Cowards who would flip sides because of misfortune? Thorkell would never let such men walk alongside him, he doesn't care for numbers or any of that crap." Y/n began, "How much do you wanna bet if I were to turn and head to where those men were I would find nothing but bloodied snow... Who cares though, at least we were able to weed out the wimps. Better dead than among us." Y/n ended off with a shrug of her shoulders as she let her eyes fall shut for a minute. 

Thorfinn's eyes blinked away from the girl but flickered back down to her quickly when he felt her grab his arm suddenly. 

He was taken aback when she tugged his arm downward to bring his ear closer to her lips, his ear which was already a bit pink from the cold going completely red feeling her warm breath fan it.