35.

Chapter 35. 
The cut off 

"What about that girl? You can bring her too!" The old man was desperate to convince Thorfinn to come back home. Bringing up his family only added more fuel to the fire; and even though they stood so close Thorfinn still felt so far to the traveler. 

He noticed how his scowl dropped immediately at the mention of Y/n, his frown remaining if not getting deeper. 

Thorfinn shook his head, looking in the direction she walked off. 

Leif noticed the sudden change in his attitude and bit his lip deep in thought. 

He had no clue who this Y/n girl was, only hearing a couple of scary rumours about her. But of course he didn't give it much thought as he was only on the look for Thorfinn and could care less. 

Nevertheless, now seeing the obvious feelings Thorfinn harboured for the girl he was curious to know more about her. 

Curious to know if she was all he had for the rough years he'd spent away from home. 

"Is she your friend..?" Leif asked, lowering his tone as his question threw him into uncharted territory. 

"Friend..?" Thorfinn repeated to himself, unsure himself. Looking to the old man one final time, Thorfinn didn't give him a verbal answer. But his face and body language spoke clearer than his words ever could. 

Turning around he walked away from the man, who could only stare at his back in awe; completely speechless. 

"Ylva is a mother now! Y-you've got three little nephews and nieces!" He chocked out, eager to get the boy to turn around. "And your mother is sick Thorfinn! Show her you're face, it's the healing she needs--!" he stopped when Thorfinn spun around to face him again quickly, making him seal his lips. 

"Shut up already!!" He yelled once again, this wasn't the first time he raised his voice at the old man who was trying to get him to leave. 

"Where are you even going Thorfinn--" 

"I'm the prince's personal guard with Y/n, That's our job for some reason." He interrupted, feeling as if he was beginning to waste his time. 

"Come back home with me, Thorfinn..." Leif lowered his tone as he spoke sincerely, he finally found Thorfinn and he wasn't going to let him go so easily. 

He was ready to put his foot down and be stubborn; he wasn't planning on backing down.

"I can tell you care about the girl..." He began, gulping as Thorfinn's glare hardened. "But like I said, there's no problem with you bringing her back with you. I'm sure everyone will be more than delighted not only by your return, but to also see you've brought a lover with you." 

'Lover?' 

Thorfinn's fist that were subconsciously squeezed at his side unclenched at the thought. Maybe if he hadn't messed everything up with her, he would've been able to--

"You've done enough! Come back with me!" 

'no.' 

Leifs words pulled Thorfinn out of his delusional thoughts as he was reminded of his purpose. 

"Enough..? What would you know? What the hell do you know about what I've been through? Huh?" 

The old man sweat-dropped when he noticed the anger presented on Thorfinn's face as he lifted his fathers dagger. The calm look in his eyes at the mention of Y/n now no where to be found, as it was replaced with hatred and anger. 

"As long as Askeladd lives, breathes, eats and shits I haven't done enough!!" 

Images of his fathers tragic death flashed through his mind as well as the conversation they once had regarding Y/n. 

"Soon things will get out of control." Askeladd sighed, his eyes never leaving the fire burning in front of him and Thorfinn. ".......I'll have to put her to rest."

He tightened his grip around his fathers dagger. 

'I won't let him.' 

"It's not enough!" 

Leif couldn't hold back the tears that came to his eyes as he stared at Thorfinn. It was as if he was starring at a completely different person; this wasn't the same little boy he knew all those years ago. 

This time as Thorfinn turned around once again for what felt like the millionth time, as Leif called out for him, he didn't bother turning back around. 

"Thorfinn! I will stay in this town until you change your mind! Come back to Iceland with me, bring the girl!" He yelled even though his cries were in vain. All his words going through one of Thorfinn's ears and right out the other.  "Thorfinn! Come home!" 

The old man stood there alone, not knowing what to make of what happened. 

Was he supposed to be happy? 

After all, he finally found Thorfinn. The boy he'd been searching for forever, the boy he was beginning to think was dead.

Yet here he was in good health. 

But this boy he found was a completely different person. Completely different from the cheerful boy he once knew. 

Sniffling, he held back his tears. He wasn't going to give up on him. 

Meanwhile, Thorfinn was able to join up with the prince and everyone else. The tension between Thorfinn and Y/n was thick; impossible to ignore. 

The two stared at each other without saying a single word... Just staring... 

Askeladd of course noticed this and raised a brow at their odd behaviour, usually they would be bickering over something stupid, or Y/n would be annoying him. Walking between the two he placed a hand down on both of their shoulders. 

"You two argue again?" He said in a teasing tone with his famous smirk. It seemed his words snapped them out of their trance as they blinked a couple of times before averting their gaze elsewhere. Thorfinn dramatically shoved Askeladd's hand off of his shoulder, crossing his arms. While Y/n grabbed his hand and pulled it down so his arm would be across her shoulder with a sigh. 

"Yeah," Y/n simply said, eyes briefly flickering back onto Thorfinn before quickly looking away again. 

Askeladd had a feeling this argument between them was different from the other ones. He thought it was odd how they were treating each other recently, but he assumed by today they would be back to normal. 

One thing Askeladd couldn't afford though, was for their sudden rivalry to cause inconveniences. Knowing them, they weren't afraid to raise their fist at any moment to settle something. 

He could only sigh, he pulled Y/n closer as well as hooking an arm around Thorfinn's shoulders-- pulling him in as well.

"I don't know what the stupid fight was about this time, nor do I care to know. But you two need to squash it." Askeladd said with a shake of the head. 

"It has been squashed." Thorfinn responded mockingly with an attitude, clearly upset with Askeladd's contact.

Askeladd's eyes fell onto Y/n who nodded her head, agreeing with Thorfinn. 

The man rolled his eyes. 

'I hate kids.' 

"Tonight, I'll need the both of you to follow Gunnar after the feast to see if he is a traitor." He lowered his head slightly as he whispered, the playfulness in his tone diminishing. 

"Why do we both--" 

"I'm not asking,That's an order." Removing his arm from around the two, he took a small step back as he placed his opened palms on Thorfinn and Y/n's farthest shoulders. With great force, he pushed the two into each other before laughing as he walked off.