13.

Chapter 13.
Prince Canute pt3

"Askeladd w-what have I done.." 

The woman was sitting in the corner of the small house, her whole body trembling in fear. Askeladd was paralyzed on his spot as he starred at the scene in front of him with wide eyes full of disbelief. 

"Nonononono--" He rushed to the body on the ground and supported the mans head as the man continued to choke up blood. "It's okay, you're okay.." Askeladd's face was full of panic, he put a hand over one of the many stab wounds that decorated the mans body. "fuck.." 

"A-Askeladd..." The man's voice was barely audible, but Askeladd of course caught what he was saying and held onto his hand. "You--" He struggled to breathe, "m-my child.." 

"I prom-" Askeladd paused mid phrase when he felt the man go limp, his eyes lifeless. "I promise." 

"Thorfinn he's kidding right?" 

Y/n's tone was dripping with annoyance, her eye twitching as they all brought their marching to a halt. 

"We didn't march for decades on the run from Thorkell... Just for reinforcements to be two people.... Right..?" Y/n's head fell to the ground as she groaned in frustration. Thorfinn ignored the girls whiny actions as he watched Askeladd first approach before sharing a few words with the two men. 

"Look at them.. Useless.." 

He raised a brow when he saw Askeladd get on a knee in front of the cloaked men, crossing his arms over his chest when he saw three boats coming to shore. Instead of being vocal he lightly shoved Y/n with his shoulder to get her attention. 

"What?" Y/n averted her eyes from the ground to look at Thorfinn who only pointed ahead. "huh?-" Out of curiosity her eyes followed the direction of where his finger was pointed. 

"B-boats..?" Her brows knitted together in confusion as the gears in her head still weren't turning, "BOATS!!!" 

Bringing one hand to the back of her neck she scratched it while an awkward smile spread on her face. 

"Maybe I was wrong, these guys aren't completely useless." She chuckled, Thorfinn only rolling his eyes as he began to walk to board one of the ships with Y/n following closely behind him. 

Sitting down, a sigh left Y/n's lips as a look of relief washed over her features. Her whole body relaxed for the first time in days now that she was finally on water again. Closing her eyes and taking off her helmet, she listened to the river that was forging its own sea-song. 

Letting her eyes open up once again, she turned her body to look over the boat and into the water that showed Y/n her reflection. 

"Surprised you aren't sea sick."  

The little girl turned around to see her father sitting down beside her. She didn't give a reply and instead returned her gaze to the sea. 

"And you've finally stopped your crying." 

"I....I don't regret coming here with you, even if it meant things will never be able to go back to how they were." Y/n bit her lip as she tried to bite back her tears, ever since they left the village she did nothing but cry-- and she didn't want to cry anymore. "Because here..." 

The little girl was having trouble finding the words to explain how she felt properly, all she could do was reach out her small hand towards the sea. Her small gesture was enough for Askeladd to understand how the girl felt.