20.

Chapter 20
Ragnar

"Y/n, remember how you told me you loved two people? Tell me a bit about your father.." 

It was already the next morning, Y/n was still stuck in Ragnar's bed. Whenever she got up it was either the prince or Thorfinn who would force her back in. 

She sat with an empty bowl in her lap having just finished the delicious food Canute made for her. 

"Ah.. Well.. If I really think about it.. I don't know much about him... I obviously know his personality and mannerisms quite well but other than that.." Y/n spaced out a bit from Canute's question.  "I still love him all the same. Without him I really feel my life would hold no meaning." 

Canute nodded at her answer, he was taken aback when he felt Y/n place her hand on top of his, her lips turning up into a smile. 

"What about you?" 

"To be honest--" 

In three days Y/n was good as new, a couple of days have past since then. 

Currently she was sitting down out in the forest with Askeladd on top of a huge rock. Crossing her arms over her chest Y/n's eyes never left the snow. She was supposed to be hunting with Thorfinn right now but instead told him to leave without her after hearing her dad call out for her. 

Taking in everything Askeladd just told her, Y/n released a smooth exhale from her mouth. Looking back up her eyes met with her fathers ice cold ones. 

"You're telling me to kill Ragnar." Y/n furrowed her brows, "b-but why.." 

Askeladd shook his head before scratching his beard while letting his eyes fall shut. 

"You know exactly why Y/n, you're a smart girl. I would've let some random do it as well but it appears to me that you're beginning to go soft for the prince." 

Y/n did know exactly why Ragnar needed to die-- wether it was in battle, by disease, or even by her own hands. It didn't matter just as long as he wasn't around to further cozy and stump the Canute's growth. 

But after getting to know the prince, a part of Y/n didn't want Ragnar to die, or to ever be separated from Canute. She wanted Canute to stay happy, pure, not turn into someone full of hatred like Thorfinn. 

Or someone lost, like her. 

"My being. I've dedicated my whole life for this" 

"For what dad?" 

Y/n scoffed when Askeladd didn't answer her but instead look away. 

"F-fine." 

Jumping down from the rock she was sitting on, Y/n turned around to walk back when she suddenly felt Askeladd's hand on top of her shoulder. 

'Sorry Frode, but it looks like I might have to cut back on our promise.' 

Glancing back, she expected her father to say something but he didn't.